Why become a member? ×

Orange Sp Cabinets?

Superbass

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone had played through any of the Orange Smart Power Cabs, especially the 212? Do they actually sound like a proper 210 or 2x12 or are we talking here about a cab that is just like playing with a 1 x 10 or a 1x12. I also understand that they are very small so do they simply not push enough air in decent sized venues? your thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

[quote name='Superbass' post='1196153' date='Apr 11 2011, 08:08 PM']Hi guys, just wondering if anyone had played through any of the Orange Smart Power Cabs, especially the 212? Do they actually sound like a proper 210 or 2x12 or are we talking here about a cab that is just like playing with a 1 x 10 or a 1x12. I also understand that they are very small so do they simply not push enough air in decent sized venues? your thoughts would be appreciated. thanks[/quote]

theres tons of threads on this gear matey. Just go to the search tab top right and type in orange bass terror or sp 210 or sp 212 and im sure your questions will be answered.

Apparently they don't deliver the performance of a trad dual driver cabinet whilst being as heavy and expensive. Basically they offer no benefits over a single driver cab.

I was briefly interested a while ago but the price and weight put me off, BFM had some interesting things to say here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124993&hl=orange"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...3&hl=orange[/url]

I used the 210 when trying out an Orange Terror. Impressions were that it was loud enough, but the depth of sound just wasn`t enough for me, but then, I fret if I`m only using a 410. The sound from the cab was good, and did I mention it was loud enough - sure yr getting the picture here :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1196174' date='Apr 11 2011, 08:29 PM']Apparently they don't deliver the performance of a trad dual driver cabinet whilst being as heavy and expensive. Basically they offer no benefits over a single driver cab.

I was briefly interested a while ago but the price and weight put me off, BFM had some interesting things to say here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124993&hl=orange"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...3&hl=orange[/url][/quote]

They do offer one benefit - lower frequency response in the cab. So, basically, these cabs can be smaller than the competition by being an isobaric design, without any loss in the lows.

And they are definitely small and deep - I used to have a SP210. Tone was great. Not very loud though I found, due to the dual drivers but only one producing any sound (the other drives the isobaric chamber). But if you can put enough watts in, you should get enough volume out. I know am making the old assumption that watts = volume but I don't know enough to think otherwise yet!

Edited by aldude

[quote name='aldude' post='1198370' date='Apr 13 2011, 04:22 PM']They do offer one benefit - lower frequency response in the cab. So, basically, these cabs can be smaller than the competition by being an isobaric design, without any loss in the lows.

And they are definitely small and deep - I used to have a SP210. Tone was great. [b]Not very loud though I found[/b], due to the dual drivers but only one producing any sound (the other drives the isobaric chamber). But if you can put enough watts in, you should get enough volume out. I know am making the old assumption that watts = volume but I don't know enough to think otherwise yet![/quote]

What were you running it with? I have not come across a volume problem with my Terror Bass/SP212 pairing.

Also I don't really understand the volume argument when it comes to bass amps/cabs.

At small venues- pubs, clubs, village halls etc, 2x12 with 750W power handling is more than you will ever need.

At larger venues there is almost always a PA system and the bass amp ends up being used for on stage monitoring, for which a 2x12 with 750W power handling is more than you will ever need.

Size and weight should really be the key considerations and the SP212 is pretty dense, but portable in one hand if you are young and fit. It is nicely compact.

[quote name='Alfie' post='1198488' date='Apr 13 2011, 06:13 PM']Also I don't really understand the volume argument when it comes to bass amps/cabs.

At small venues- pubs, clubs, village halls etc, 2x12 with 750W power handling is more than you will ever need.

At larger venues there is almost always a PA system and the bass amp ends up being used for on stage monitoring, for which a 2x12 with 750W power handling is more than you will ever need.

Size and weight should really be the key considerations and the SP212 is pretty dense, but portable in one hand if you are young and fit. It is nicely compact.[/quote]

well put.