Why become a member? ×

extension cabs

bassjoc

hi there ive just started playing bass and some issues regarding amps have left me very confused! i have an ashdown mag evo II 300 watt 2x10. The speakers in the combo are 80 watt @ 16ohms (making it 160 watt @ 8ohms right? or wrong?) The 1x15" ext. is 250 watts @ 8 Ohms so when its connected i effectively have a 300 watt head running a 410 watts cab (@ 4ohms) . Again im not too sure how this works so any sort of guidance would be greatly appreciated. How many watts am i realistically getting out of the combo without the extension, is 250 watts the peak or rms of the extension and would a 1x12 250 watt 8ohm extension do the same job???? Cheers guys

If your head is putting out 300w at 4Ohms, that's the maximum power you will have.

Theoretically, your speakers will be able to handle 410w before they blow, though with most they sound terrible and risk damage a long way before you put max power through them.

Head ratings is your power, cab ratings is how much power your cabs can handle (unless they're powered cabs, but that's something else.).

[quote name='bassjoc' post='1196278' date='Apr 11 2011, 09:53 PM']80 watt @ 16ohms (making it 160 watt @ 8ohms right? or wrong?)
1x15" ext. is 250 watts @ 8 Ohms
300 watt head running a 410 watts cab (@ 4ohms)
250 watts the peak or rms
1x12 250 watt 8ohm[/quote]

It's all a load of b0ll0cks!

Seriously not wishing to undermine/berate you but all of the figures quoted by the manufacturers are PANTS!

The only figure remotely applicable is the ohmage of the cab (and for the sake of arguments we have to concede that the ohmage given is correct even though that is debatable). You can guesstimate that you are getting about 200-250w out of your combo without an extension cab but you then need to ask yourself does that sound loud/clear enough... if it doesn't, then another ext cab (8 ohm) with preferably the same size drivers (10's) will give you a perceived greater volume (though 50-100w is a negligible amount to hear the difference). Ideally to get a bigger/louder sound from your combo, you want an ext cab that is more sensitive (higher db rating at 1w 1m) as opposed to a cab that has the max number of watts attributed to it's name.

I realise that this seriously is unlikely to make much sense to you but if you read some of the stickies it will help you. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3730"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3730[/url]

Speakers move air. If you have 2 2x10 cabs running 300w at 4Ω it's gonna move a lot more air than a single 12" 4Ω or 2x10 4Ω. if you get 2 identical 2x10s with the exception that one is 8Ω & the other is 4Ω, you'll be hard pushed to hear the extra db from the 4Ω & just be restricting yourself to adding extra cabs unless your amp runs at 2Ω (which I don't think yours does).

To answer a bit more of your Qs, the first part you've answered yourself correctly. The 12" wouldn't move as much air as your 15" or a 2x10".

Edited by xgsjx