Why become a member? ×

Pickup Buzz

Monckyman

My Jazz is buzzin!
Not in the Sean Ryder "nice one top one yeah sorted mint" Manc nomenclature, but in the accepted shandy drinking southerner sense of the word.
Symptoms.
General light earth buzz when tone pot is wide open. lessens when strings/pots/bridge is touched.
Lower darker earth buzz when either of the pickups is rolled off even a little. makes blending impossible at any volume.
When both pickups are on full the buzz cancels out.
All the pots seem to be bunching also,can`t hear any appreciable difference till the last bit of track, though on inspection look like original CTS.They all sound a bit noisy/dirty also, prob been unused for a while.
I have some copper screening left over from the Vox P which was also buzzing a little, but the two pickup config is new to me so I need advice.
I`ll go have a trawl through the archives also, see what there is.
Ta,
Dave.

Had a similar earth issue with my Geddy Lee Jazz and found when touching metal anywhere on the bass it reduced buzz significantly.
Checked the earth on the bass using multimeter and no apparent problem.
Eventually found that the pick guard was the problem and by putting a layer of kitchen tin-foil below cut to same shape as pick guard and tucked under the metal control plate solved the problem by earthing from guard direct to the main earth plate.
Worked for me.
I now only get a slight buzz if all pots full on and standing next to amp at high volumes which is to be expected to some degree.

Hope it helps

Cheers
Dave
:)

Ok, the wealth of Basschat decrees tinfoil.
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I wasn`t aware that Jazz single poles buzzed so much. I did know unshielded basses picked up mains and RF buzz.
I have started to shield the cavities with copper etc so no prob.
The pots I reckon are correct also, logarythmic is it? That`s just the way they are with perceived change over 10%.. I may change these for linear at some point to compare.
Pickups.. hmm, i1ll be changing these for humbuckers at some point, I just dont know enough about the choices just yet. And I`m skint :lol:
All in all this bass is great,I`ve lowered the action a little, changed the strings for some d`adarios and it`s great. I`m just being an extra pedantic picky bastard coz it`s a bass forum and I`m allowed.
Dave.

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1197950' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:30 AM']Ok, the wealth of Basschat decrees tinfoil.

I wasn`t aware that Jazz single poles buzzed so much. I did know unshielded basses picked up mains and RF buzz.
The pots I reckon are correct also, logarythmic is it? That`s just the way they are with perceived change over 10%.. I may change these for linear at some point to compare.
Pickups.. hmm, i1ll be changing these for humbuckers at some point, I just dont know enough about the choices just yet. And I`m skint :lol:
All in all this bass is great,I`ve lowered the action a little, changed the strings for some d`adarios and it`s great. I`m just being an extra pedantic picky bastard coz it`s a bass forum and I`m allowed.
Dave.[/quote]

Probably why they 'ad covers on them originally! the ole ashtrays, but the trouble is they make them unplayable....... The old ones also have an external bridge earthing strap on them which makes a big difference, but it does look very sh*te

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1197950' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:30 AM']Ok, the wealth of Basschat decrees tinfoil.

Pickups.. hmm, i1ll be changing these for humbuckers at some point, I just dont know enough about the choices just yet. And I`m skint :D
:lol:
Dave.[/quote]

Only trying to help with a cheap no-cost option.

Edited by dmccombe7