Why become a member? ×

MarkBass and Precisions?

Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='1200892' date='Apr 15 2011, 04:09 PM']Hey thanks. I think that might be a bit bass heavy for my liking but I will give it a go.[/quote]

How can it be too bass heavy, at 12'o clock the dial is flat and at 1' to 2' o clock is just barely over the flat setting. I could agree if you were talking about a bass with a ballsy preamp, but not a passive one like P bass, which actually needs that bit more of bass presence.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1200945' date='Apr 15 2011, 04:49 PM']How can it be too bass heavy, at 12'o clock the dial is flat and at 1' to 2' o clock is just barely over the flat setting. I could agree if you were talking about a bass with a ballsy preamp, but not a passive one like P bass, which actually needs that bit more of bass presence.[/quote]

Oh, I find turning the low dial up makes it very bassy. Its either flat or at 11 O'Clock. At the moment I have it set at 12 O'clock and the Low Mids at 9 O'Clock. Maybe I have overly bassy fingers :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1200941' date='Apr 15 2011, 04:45 PM']And if you turn it up quite high isnt that supposed to give a more old skool tone by attenuating the top end to simulate an old cab.[/quote]

I may be being dense - but that's the VLE filter isn't it? I'm being dense aren't I?

Never had a MB combo, but on my MB 410 cab the horn knob is on the side where you can usually get at it in a gig. Genius.

No, it was my cock up. I was talking about the VLE but my reply was to the post about the VPF.
The VPF boosts the very low freq and the high freq with a dip in the mids.
The VLE attenuates everything above a certain fixed freq to emulate a vintage cab.

After almost 5 years of using them you would think I would stop getting them mixed up.

For what its worth i use a bit of both and find these to be more useful than the EQ most fo the time. I think a lot of MB owners do the same.
I'll miss these two magic knobs when i sell the SA450 but luckily you can buy a MB pedal that has just these two filters on it :-)

Edited by dave_bass5

• 3 weeks later...

hi mate iv got a precision and use a mark bass combo sounds great but if you really want the best sound try adding a 1x15 markbass cab i have and it sounds awsome iv got loads of gear like ampeg rigg ashdown rig peavey combo 2 warwick basses yamaha ibanez ect the best sound i get is with the mb combo the 1x15 mb cabb and my good old fender. hope you get sorted soon and good luck and keep on rockin.

Thanks Hadge. The MB combo is really starting to warm up now. The strings really made a massive difference. I am running everything flat apart from the low mids set at 9 o Clock and the VLE at 9 o Clock. Not sure the VLE is making that much difference to my sound and I could probably set it to off but thats where its sitting at the moment. The biggest thing for me is the Low Mids. Set flat and the bass sounds horrible. If I turn them to off then it sounds empty so around 9 o Clock works.

Going to be trying a Jazz soon through. Really looking forward to that.

I got an F1 recently - I've not used my P with it through a cab yet, but I've been messing about with it at home with the line out into my PC - first impressions are that my P sounds fantastic through it. Slight bass/low mid bump, slight high mid cut, VLE at 9 o'clock gets me a nice detailed tone that's warm and punchy without being too clanky. Looking forward to trying it out through my 410L, as I never really managed to make my P work with my last rig (RBI + poweramp - too much of an inherant mid scoop I think).

Linus, if you like the tone you get by scooping your low mids out, I think you'd probably love the Sansamp tone.

Edited by Wil

As I was dicking about with the line out on my F1 anyway, I've done some soundclips using the settings I mentioned above and with a bit of compression added via my DBX266XL in the FX loop on the amp.

The first bit is my mongrel precision with the P pup only, followed by the P combined with the bridge humbucker in series, followed by my Sterling (preamp set flat, new Elixers though so it's sounding fairly bright at the moment).

[attachment=79341:f1.wav]

Just to save you guessing what tonewood the P is made of, I'm pretty sure it's MDF.