Why become a member? ×

MarkBass and Precisions?

Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='1199226' date='Apr 14 2011, 11:37 AM']My worry with flats is it will sound too boomy and dull. I love a really balanced tone and I am worried that I will loose the clarity with flats. Plus I hate the feel of flats but I guess I can get used to it. Maybe its time to move on and find a new sound. Smooth and warm. Of course if flats work out, I won't admit it. I'm too punk to admit to using flats :)[/quote]

Of course, smooth and warm doesn't have to mean woolly and dull. I favour turning the tone knob almost completely down even with 2+ year old flats on to get a dark, thumpy sound. But, with new flats and the tone open they can be reasonably bright, punchy and clear, if not 'zingy' like new roundwounds.

Another option is halfwounds. I used to have D'addario halfwounds on a Pensa fretless... they had a great combination of 'singing' tone and smoothness. I wonder what they'd sound like on a P bass?

[quote name='Linus27' post='1199053' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:18 AM']Thanks Steve. I will give flats a go tonight and if that does not work, then it might just be a case of using the MB combo for practises and I go back and gig with the Aggy cab and Shuttle 6. I had hoped to just use the combo but if its not to be then its just not to be.[/quote]

I have used the combos and I just am not convinced about them together..amp and speakers. I was glad to get my main rig back..although thankful for the loan of the 102 combo. I also tried the combo with a GS cab on the bottom and wasn't knocked out and I know how the GS sounds.

This extended demo has rather dampened my enthusiam for a Markbass amp which I was going to use as a backup but now will abandon that idea.

You have to try these things and for me, it didn't work out. It makes you rethink what you have though..which is the upside.
I understand they have an extended range but the one thing to come out of this, IMV, was that I value a valve in the pre for when the amp gets going... it is just a kinder harmonic distortion to the human ear..or to mine.
Sterile is a word I hear a lot in this regard and it wouldn't be going too far to apply that to my experience... like a lot of SS amps, IME.

OK, so I had another play tonight and the only way I can get it to sound half decent is if I run everything flat but with the low mids to off or even maybe at 9 O'clock. VLE and VPF are off.

I thought I had some flats but when I went to fit them, the G string was not long enough. I did re-string the E, A and D and it sounded ok but to be honest, I am not sure they were flats. They were smooth to touch but if I run my nail over the string, it still had a rough edge. Not as rough as my Rotosound rounds but still a bit rough.

So I am going to buy some flats. Anyone recommend some that are fairly good but not really expensive in case I hate them????

By the way, really appreciate all the help and advice. It has been interesting. At the end of the day, its just a combo and if I just use it for practise and home then so be it. At least for gigs I can go and use my Shuttle 6 and Aggy GS112 so its not the end of the work. A bit expensive and over kill but as JTUK said, you have to try these things and if it doesn't work out. It makes you rethink what you have which is the upside.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1199818' date='Apr 14 2011, 07:40 PM']Michael.
Ive got a set of Chromes (got them off Nick last year) sitting around. Your welcome to borrow them for a few weeks if you like.[/quote]

Dave I have sent you a PM :)

I think, my problem has been solved. It was strings all along. I never mentioned this before as to be honest, I really did not think it would be such a big factor, certainly not in terms of how vastly different the frequecies are. Anyway, I have always used Elite Stadium rounds. They have been the best strings and only strings I have used for the last 20 years. However, after doing a lot of reading and recommendations from people here, I thought I would give a set of Rotosound Swing rounds a go. They seemed popular and the industry standard somewhat for rock music, especially for a Precision. So when I fitted them, I remember at the time thinking, mmm, ok but not as impressive but give it time and maybe they need to settle but the mids are certainly a bit high. Naselly is how I would describe them. As time went on, I got used to them but now having got this MarkBass combo, everything started to sound pants again which I thought was down to the combo. As a last ditch effort to try and fix the problem and before giving flats a go, I found a set of my favourite Elites and fitted them and WOW, it sounds superb. I can just about get away with running the combo flat and it sounding impressive. The tone is balanced, calm and if I want to smooth things off and get a bit more Motown thump, I just dial the tone off on the Precision and it sounds fab. I am totally amazed at the difference in the strings, its like chalk and cheese. I never ever expected that much difference in a set of rounds. I guess it really is a case of better the devil you know.

Anyway, thanks so much for everyones input and probably for wasting everyones time :) I may still give some flats a go just to be curious to how they would sound.

Great :)

EB Group III flats are lovely. Not as costly as most and very very underrated. I am mellowing out some on my USA P Bass. They have some zing for a few months but they are calming a bit now.

Try Dave's chromes too.

I am at the same crossroads as yourself, and Im a bit worried going any smaller than 1x12 is pointless. I do play with a drummer, so I may as well go DI with a quality DI like the Tonehammer. So, Im on the fence as to whether I get a nice 1x12 cab and add my amp, or just go DI.

There are some nice 1x12 combos, but much more costly than I want to pay for what it is going to be used for.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1199984' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:35 PM']Great :)

EB Group III flats are lovely. Not as costly as most and very very underrated. I am mellowing out some on my USA P Bass. They have some zing for a few months but they are calming a bit now.

Try Dave's chromes too.

I am at the same crossroads as yourself, and Im a bit worried going any smaller than 1x12 is pointless. I do play with a drummer, so I may as well go DI with a quality DI like the Tonehammer. So, Im on the fence as to whether I get a nice 1x12 cab and add my amp, or just go DI.

There are some nice 1x12 combos, but much more costly than I want to pay for what it is going to be used for.[/quote]

I don't think I could cope without an amp. I'm very old school :) We also play with a drummer but using brushes and hot rods so still soft and acoustic. I am undecided at this stage if I will use the MB combo for gigs. I would like to as it would make life so much easier but I need to get used to it more first before deciding.

That's cool that the strings fixed your issue there :) It doesn't surprise me as I always found my Markbass amps to be very true to the natural qualities of a bass. Since P-basses can sound a bit lifeless in some settings I struggled to get a tone I liked with mine, but it all changed when I got myself a Rusty Box pre-amp! Punk tone heaven! :)

Edited by thumbo

You are welcome to experiment with my settings below, bear in mind that I have the CMD102P (2 x 10") and that I have changed the head to a Little Mark Tube, but with the tube turned off it's exactly the same as a Little Mark II or Little Mark Combo head.

Ignore all the controls with a big X as they are obsolete on a Little Mark II or Combo Head

[quote name='Linus27' post='1200362' date='Apr 15 2011, 10:12 AM']I'm just amazed at how sensitive the amp was to the different strings, it really was like chalk and cheese. I've never had that before in any amp, combo, rig I have owned previously.[/quote]

Well your Ashdown was probably hiding all the good stuff from you ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1200394' date='Apr 15 2011, 10:40 AM']Well your Ashdown was probably hiding all the good stuff from you ;-)[/quote]

HAHA I liked my Ashdown :) I hear you are thinking of selling your MB SA450 and going back to Ashdown. Do you have a suitable wooly jumper, Blue Peter style maybe or will you try the Val Doonican cardi this time :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1200390' date='Apr 15 2011, 10:38 AM']You are welcome to experiment with my settings below, bear in mind that I have the CMD102P (2 x 10") and that I have changed the head to a Little Mark Tube, but with the tube turned off it's exactly the same as a Little Mark II or Little Mark Combo head.

Ignore all the controls with a big X as they are obsolete on a Little Mark II or Combo Head

[/quote]

Hey thanks. I think that might be a bit bass heavy for my liking but I will give it a go.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1200889' date='Apr 15 2011, 04:08 PM']HAHA I liked my Ashdown :) I hear you are thinking of selling your MB SA450 and going back to Ashdown. Do you have a suitable wooly jumper, Blue Peter style maybe or will you try the Val Doonican cardi this time :)[/quote]

The only way i would go back to Ashdown was if i needed something to put my good amp on ;-)

But yeah, selling the SA450 and getting a Streamliner 600 in the near future.

Funny enough im also thinking of putting the Chromes on my CV P for a while if your not going to borrow them. seeing as my EXL's are pretty dead now i thought i might try flats again, for a few weeks at least.

Much earlier it was mentioned and you seem to have found a solution...but disconnecting the tweeter, and potentially a crossover if there is one, is definitely worth a shout here to get a smoother old-school thump.

Also, I personally think the Markbass cabs are excellent but rather forward and detailed sounding, so it's not surprising that if the strings don't give you the sound you're after you will really notice it on their cabs.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1200927' date='Apr 15 2011, 04:34 PM']Much earlier it was mentioned and you seem to have found a solution...but disconnecting the tweeter, and potentially a crossover if there is one, is definitely worth a shout here to get a smoother old-school thump.

Also, I personally think the Markbass cabs are excellent but rather forward and detailed sounding, so it's not surprising that if the strings don't give you the sound you're after you will really notice it on their cabs.[/quote]

I don't think you can diconnect the tweeter on this or if you can then I have no idea how to :)

Yes I think you are right in saying that because the cabs are forward and detailed, any change is noticable. Something I need to keep in the back of my mind and not just brush it off as sounding crap.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1200927' date='Apr 15 2011, 04:34 PM']Much earlier it was mentioned and you seem to have found a solution...but disconnecting the tweeter, and potentially a crossover if there is one, is definitely worth a shout here to get a smoother old-school thump.

Also, I personally think the Markbass cabs are excellent but rather forward and detailed sounding, so it's not surprising that if the strings don't give you the sound you're after you will really notice it on their cabs.[/quote]

TIP: If you keep the VPF filter off the tweeter does not come into play, so no need to disconnect it

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1200935' date='Apr 15 2011, 04:42 PM']TIP: If you keep the VPF filter off the tweeter does not come into play, so no need to disconnect it[/quote]

And if you turn it up quite high isnt that supposed to give a more old skool tone by attenuating the top end to simulate an old cab.