Why become a member? ×

Driver I.D

Monckyman

I just took the driver out of my Ashdown ABM 500 evo II and although told it was a black widow, found instead an Eminence.
Now I knew it wasn`t the original driver, you can see it`s black and not the ashdown blue, so that`s ok, and I`m not too arsed about it not being a BW, I just need to find a little more info on what exactly it is.
The pic shows all, an Eminence ME-15 2008 into 8ohms.

What I don`t know is the rating in watts.There is no other lable anywhere else on this driver. Can`t find anything of use via google so hence me asking here.
Any help appreciated,
Dave M

Edited by Monckyman

From what I can gather it looks like it may be a "custom" speaker made for someone else, which means it's going to be tricky to identify.

From the Eminence website ....

[url="http://www.eminence.com/support/faq/"]http://www.eminence.com/support/faq/[/url]

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1199508' date='Apr 14 2011, 03:18 PM']Could it be as simple as the 2008 being 200watts @8ohms?[/quote]

That does make sense. The other numbers on the label are the serial and model numbers and the like.

With it not being the original driver you've no way of telling where it actually came from so there's no easy way to trace it back to a particular manufacturer's OEM range of speakers.

I just found a Polish site with a chap taking one out of a Marshall B150 and saying it`s 200 at 8ohm, whether that was original or not is also up for debate.
No matter, I reckon I have my answer and it sounds pretty good.I`m not precious about it.
I may swap out my ampeg though and see if that suits the amp better.
thanks all.

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='1201376' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:23 AM']The Me 15-200 is exactly that a 15" 200W speaker Qts 0.59, Vas 224 l,Qes 0.67 fs 46Hz if you want the T/S parameters. It was probably made in the early 1990's[/quote]
Or the 1980s. The current equivalent is the Beta 15. If someone sold me an Ashdown ABM cab and I found out they had installed one of those, I'd be mightlily pissed off and would want my money back. I'd expect to find that kind of driver in a Behringer bass cab.

[quote name='stevie' post='1201650' date='Apr 16 2011, 10:56 AM']Or the 1980s. The current equivalent is the Beta 15. If someone sold me an Ashdown ABM cab and I found out they had installed one of those, I'd be mightlily pissed off and would want my money back. I'd expect to find that kind of driver in a Behringer bass cab.[/quote]

Not sure about this. I don't think I would expect a decent driver in that cab..or others for that matter and the fact that they obscure the
origins..and a lot of cabs makers do this...would be a question of being able to use a cheap driver which you can't ID and so that you have to go back to Ashdown to replace it.

So many cabs infer they have bespkoke chassis' but it might not be helpful to know that the speaker cost $60 bulk in a cab that they are asking $600 for... etc etc
or you get the jist...