Why become a member? ×

Warwick Streamette Dual p pickups,any help?

mikhay77

I have a Warwick Streamette with dual p pickups and a standard Mec active circuit.Rear pick up went dead on me,so replaced it with an active Emg.Sounds great panned to rear or front mec pickup but pan centre and get a really thin and weedy sound.Had this before and it was out off phase pickups so spun the pick up round and still the same! Cant alter the wiring due to 9v feed,ground and output,exactly the same as the Mec.Anyone any Ideas.?

Edited by mikhay77

[quote name='mikhay77' post='1199898' date='Apr 14 2011, 08:33 PM']Turned both rears 180 degrees if that makes sense?,so much easier with single pups lol[/quote]
Nope I'm still none the wiser. :)

If you are wanting to the reverse the phase you either need to switch your wires coming off the pup or (not really heard of someone going to these lengths but in theory it will work) switch the magnets around - north to south / south to north. Simply turning the pups around doesn't change the phase in this context.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1199908' date='Apr 14 2011, 08:41 PM']Nope I'm still none the wiser. :)

If you are wanting to the reverse the phase you either need to switch your wires coming off the pup or (not really heard of someone going to these lengths but in theory it will work) switch the magnets around - north to south / south to north. Simply turning the pups around doesn't change the phase in this context.[/quote]
Ah stupid me,yeh see what you mean,trouble is what would be the way to reverse the wiring,red 9v,screen and white centre core for out put?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1199924' date='Apr 14 2011, 08:50 PM']Try switching the screen and white.[/quote]
Thanks for the quick replies.Sorry didnt mention it,tried that first on the emg and panned to rear emg and it was really distorted,could try it on the Mec,same type wiring.What you reckon?

[quote name='mikhay77' post='1199932' date='Apr 14 2011, 08:56 PM']Thanks for the quick replies.Sorry didnt mention it,tried that first on the emg and panned to rear emg and it was really distorted,could try it on the Mec,same type wiring.What you reckon?[/quote]
Yeah it's worth a pop... although it might be more of the same.

Are the MECs sealed units like the EMGs?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1199952' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:12 PM']Yeah it's worth a pop... although it might be more of the same.

Are the MECs sealed units like the EMGs?[/quote]
Yeah,unfortunately they are,infact they look clones! Read on the Emg forum,they talk of a phase reversal circuit! Will try the mec wiring swap,if not,may be a case of matched pups.Mec replacement is 180 euros.Ouch! So will be another Emg maybe.

[quote name='mikhay77' post='1199965' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:21 PM']Yeah,unfortunately they are,infact they look clones! Read on the Emg forum,they talk of a phase reversal circuit! Will try the mec wiring swap,if not,may be a case of matched pups.Mec replacement is 180 euros.Ouch! So will be another Emg maybe.[/quote]
Ah well if they make a circuit for it then that's your get out of jail option, short of (as you say) matching pups. You could hard wire it (switched on) and hide it in your control cavity so you never have to bother with it again.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1199977' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:29 PM']Ah well if they make a circuit for it then that's your get out of jail option, short of (as you say) matching pups. You could hard wire it (switched on) and hide it in your control cavity so you never have to bother with it again.[/quote]
True,will try the mec rewire now me thinks,and will see what happens

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1199983' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:34 PM']Got my fingers crossed for ya.[/quote]
Tried but no luck,Mec distorts too,but its deffo a phase issue,panned centre and its a loud full sound allbeit distorted due to mec rewire,so on the look out for an active mec or emg,lol