Why become a member? ×

GK 112MBX cab - any experience anyone

obbm

I had a pair and sold them on here. I found them not very impressive at any useful volume. I gigged in trio with piano and sax and it just didn't deliver any bottom end or real warmth, never mind competing with even a quiet drummer. I think a lot of people like the portability of these cabs but, to my ear, the actual sound of them never fails to disappoint and, consequently, they represent a compromise too far.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1203792' date='Apr 18 2011, 04:52 PM']I had a pair and sold them on here. I found them not very impressive at any useful volume. I gigged in trio with piano and sax and it just didn't deliver any bottom end or real warmth, never mind competing with even a quiet drummer. I think a lot of people like the portability of these cabs but, to my ear, the actual sound of them never fails to disappoint and, consequently, they represent a compromise too far.[/quote]

Thanks for the comments. I had a feeling that all was not what it seemed.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1204148' date='Apr 18 2011, 09:05 PM']Wish I could help, but I've not used any of the MB extension cabs. It's worth remembering though that they are designed as extension cabs for the MB combos, not as standalone cabs.[/quote]

So how would you describe the deign and performance differences between an extension cab and a stand-alone cab?

[quote name='obbm' post='1204183' date='Apr 18 2011, 09:43 PM']So how would you describe the deign and performance differences between an extension cab and a stand-alone cab?[/quote]

I'm wrong anyway, I've just looked it up and the MBEs are the extension cabs to the MB combos. :lol:

In reply to your question though, I don't know the ins and outs of the extension cabs (obviously since I had the model number wrong :)) and I don't know much about the MB combos in terms of build but if the MBX cabs [u]were[/u] the extension cabs and what Bilbo says is true, there would have to be some differences as the MB combos generally have good reviews (which specifically include mention of people using them at gigging volume). I assume not all extension cabs are simply the same as the combo but without the head installed so if a combo was getting good reviews and a matching cab was getting bad reviews when used on it's own, I'd suspect they were designed differently but to work together and the cab may be missing something that the head would provide.

As I said, I got confused with model numbers so it does look like they're simply stand alone cabs anyway and my assumption was based on a mistake, apologies. :D

Edit: I've just looked up the MBX on Thomann to see the price and it says there that they are the extension cabs to the MB combos. The ones on the GK website look different though and there's no 112 mentioned so maybe the one on Thomann is an old model or something, I honestly don't know.

Edited again to say that I found it on the GK site, apparently it's an extension to the MBX series combos, not the MB series combos but either way, my logic was based on them being an extension cab for the MB combos so is flawed. Again, apologies, I'll try and do my research better next time. :P :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey