Why become a member? ×

Diary of a P-bass conversion...

mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1222540' date='May 6 2011, 08:06 PM']I was thinking something along these lines (ignore the fact it's a wrong plate, it's the closest thing I had at hand, it's just for visualisation purposes)

.....[/quote]
Nice.
It's reminiscent of something I've had on the back burner for a while (can't show the headstock as there is something very unusual and cool going on :))...

[quote name='mcnach' post='1222540' date='May 6 2011, 08:06 PM']Just for fun... another version with a Stingray plate. I still prefer the Precision... and [b]it would look too much like another bass made by a BCer[/b], and it'd be a bit... weird. :)

[/quote]
:)
Who would that be then? :lol:

Anyway I don't hold exclusivity over the idea, someone has made another Pingray since the first one (it's in the build diary section somewhere). It's a winning combo mate, I say go for it.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1223553' date='May 7 2011, 07:05 PM'][url="http://www.axesrus.com/AxePlatesBass.html"]http://www.axesrus.com/AxePlatesBass.html[/url]

Precision bass metal control plate ?[/quote]

oooh!!! :)

Now, this would work beautifully :) thank you!!! I think I should get one of these soon...

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1223697' date='May 7 2011, 09:48 PM']:)
Who would that be then? :lol:

Anyway I don't hold exclusivity over the idea, someone has made another Pingray since the first one (it's in the build diary section somewhere). It's a winning combo mate, I say go for it.[/quote]

delicious looking. Not that that eat basses, but you know what I mean.

I think P-bass pickguard with the metal control plate is what I'd go for, I just love that combination with black and chrome. Your "backburner" one looks really good too! :)

Er.. no it won't I'm afraid. Not if you've bought a J-retro as the pots are mounted on the pcb in line. it's the U-retro you'd need, where the pots are on ribbon cables... Sorry to bring the whole thread down... :)

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1225818' date='May 10 2011, 08:12 AM']Er.. no it won't I'm afraid. Not if you've bought a J-retro as the pots are mounted on the pcb in line. it's the U-retro you'd need, where the pots are on ribbon cables... Sorry to bring the whole thread down... :)[/quote]

AAAARGH!!!! You are right!!!!

AND I have a J-Retro01 already so I should know :)

Initially the idea was to use a plastic pickguard and drill the holes wherever needed, and when moving to the metal plate idea I lost track of that "small detail" :D

Well, it'll be an all plastic guard now, without the metal control plate unless I source another preamp. Thanks for bringing this detail to my attention. That was a dumb one :lol:

• 1 year later...

Typical...
Over a year later and... still not very far along! :lol:

Well, I decided to apply a power sander to the body and get rid off that supertough coat.

It *is* tough!

about 15min later using 40 grit, this is how far I got:

The paler wood is where I catually reached the naked wood. The rest still has that coat on, to some extent.
And I still have the back, and all the roundy bits... why did I start this, why? I don't even need a P-bass! :P

By the way... change of plans... it'll no longer have a MM pickup. Plain P-bass it'll be, only with a SD 3-band preamp.
Tune in next year again to see if I have actually finished stripping this thing ;)

15 minutes! :blink: You need a lie down my son. Take it easy. We dont want you breaking out in a sweat now do we. Have you told your GF? She will be well impressed and will probably make your tea for you. Pad it out to 20mins and you'll be on a promise. What a hero ;)

Same time next year? :D

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1341251080' post='1715803']
15 minutes! :blink: You need a lie down my son. Take it easy. We dont want you breaking out in a sweat now do we. Have you told your GF? She will be well impressed and will probably make your tea for you. Pad it out to 20mins and you'll be on a promise. What a hero ;)

Same time next year? :D

A
[/quote]

Maaaaa! apa is making fun of me!!! AGAIN!!!!

:P