Why become a member? ×

70's Epiphone 5120

There's an early 70's [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vintage-epipiphone-semi-acoustic-bass-/250805659079?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a652ea5c7#ht_500wt_953"]Epiphone 5120[/url] for sale that states that it was made in USA. I thought these were all Japanese made. Any thoughts??

My interest is that I own one. I've always taken it as Japanese despite the "Made in Kalamazoo" sticker inside. After googling it there is someone says that if it doesn't say Made in Japan on the neck plate it's MIA but I have my doubts.

I still think it's Japanese!

Although no expert, I agree with you - am pretty sure no USA Epiphone semi basses from the 60s/70s ever had bolt on necks.
Have played the guitar version, which was n't great TBH - quality somewhat questionable.

Have seen these advertised as being USA built on ebay before, think the labelling is to blame perhaps?
Am sure someone on here will be able to give definitive info ?

Just found this in the book - 'Epiphone - The Complete History' by Walter Carter, published by Hal Leonard.

"There was...a companion bass, a poor man's Rivoli.
...A blue rectangular label gave the impression that Epiphones were still made in Kalamazoo.
It did n't actually say 'Made in..' anywhere. It just said 'Epiphone,Inc. Kalamazoo,Michigan'. But nowhere on the guitars
was there a 'Made in Japan' notice. The instruments bore a seven-digit serial number, the like of which never appeared
on a Gibson-made instrument"

Reckon that nails it!

[quote name='casapete' post='1208512' date='Apr 22 2011, 05:55 PM']"There was...a companion bass, a poor man's Rivoli.[/quote]

I think that's being a bit generous :) it's err...not the best of basses to play.

Maybe the Japanese didn't want to admit to making it! Shame cos I quite like the look of them and it cost me nothing. I certainly wouldn't be happy paying in excess of £250 for one.

The bass on Ebay is a Matsumoku build and apart from the headstock shape would have been identical to the Aria 5120 pictured [url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/hollow/sem/semi.html"]here[/url]. The model number's a little bit of a giveaway.

The EA-260 in [url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/epiphone/catalogs/1974/pg5.html"]this 1974 Epi catalogue[/url] would appear to be basically the same.

This bass is also pretty common in the UK branded as Commodore - I think a couple of BCers have or have had them. The pickups on the Ebay one aren't original & I don't think the bridge is either..

Like all the Japanese factories, Matsumoku built to order, & if the customer requested that there was no MIJ stamp then that's what they'd get.

Jon.

[quote name='el borracho' post='1209146' date='Apr 23 2011, 01:23 PM']It sold for £375 :) :) Time I listed mine I think!![/quote]
Depends if you're prepared to fib about it being made in the US, now you know that it ain't! :lol:

The Epiphone name on a vintage instrument of any origin does help a lot, though.

J.

To be honest I have never thought it was a US one and I certainly won't risk losing my 100% feedback over it!!
Mine won't fetch that anyway - it's a restoration job that I haven't got round to and probably won't. Too much effort for a low end instrument that I doubt I would play when finished.
Still interesting to know a bit about it's background though.