Why become a member? ×

which configurations? Ampeg

MatthewKeys

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1213411' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:11 AM']was kind of hoping you wouldn't ask, explaining is hard when tired. Basically, if you think of a 8 ohm 4x10 with 8 ohm speakers, it will be wired as two 16 ohm 2x10s in one box, so when you add a third 16 ohm 2x10, all three are the same, thus power distributes evenly. If you have an 8 ohm 2x10 and an 8 ohm 4x10, both complete cabinets will get an equal amount of power, so the 2x10 will be getting twice as much power per speaker than the 4x10, so it will be struggling whilst the 4x10 is coasting and drowning the struggling sounds out.[/quote]

I'm thinking of adding an 8ohm 2x10 ontop of my 8ohm 4x10 so i'm a bit concerned to read this! Would the difference i power distribution affect the sound? my head is 500w and the 4x10 has 800w power handling, and i think the 2x10 has 400w if that helps

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1213428' date='Apr 28 2011, 02:25 AM']....I'm thinking of adding an 8ohm 2x10 ontop of my 8ohm 4x10 so i'm a bit concerned to read this! Would the difference i power distribution affect the sound? my head is 500w and the 4x10 has 800w power handling, and i think the 2x10 has 400w....[/quote]
Both cabs would get 250 watts, if you run the amp flat out, which you probably won't. In any case the 410 would get half the watts that the 210 would get but both cabs would be working well within their limits.

I used a 450 watt amp to drive a 1000 watt 410 and a 400 watt 115. This was during a jam night so I heard the rig from all parts of the room and the sound was fine.

Edit: "....the 410 would get half the watts ..." - clarification: The cab will see the same watts, but each speaker in the 410 will see half the watts.

Edited by chris_b

I had the SVT3-PRO, with the SVT 410HE & SVT 210HE cabs, and it sounded great. When only using the 410, the sound was roughly the same, just not "as big", but din`t need tweaking on the eq.

With this in mind, it makes practices easier, as if you only want to take the 410 along, your sound is virtually as it will be with the full set-up, but if you add a 1x15 into the equation with 10s, well that usually changes things quite a bit. Years ago I had a Hartke set-up, with a 1x15 & 2x10. Sounded great together, but play through either cab on its own, and it just didn`t work - so always had to take the full stack along.

In short, I`d go for the 410 & 210 SVT cabs - they sound great (and look it too).

Without sounding like a sales rep for Alex, I'd have a look at the [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/super-twelve.htm"]Barefaced super 12[/url] or some of his other cabs.
You'll be hard pushed to find one 2nd hand tho.

Other cabs I'd recommend are any decent 2x10s or 2x12s from Markbass, Genz Benz, Bergantino, GK, TC Electronic, etc.
My best advice is to get to a good bass stockist & try loads out (Bass Direct, the Bass Gallery or the Bass Merchant are but a few that come to mind).

Most of all, have fun trying different options. :)

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1213415' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:14 AM']Right yea I think I know what you mean. But how do would you fix that problem?[/quote]

You don't make the problem, by not getting an 8 ohm 4x10 and a 8 ohm 2x10. Get a 16 ohm 2x10 to got with an 8ohm 4x10.

In response to an earlier question, my 2x10 easily keeps up volume-wise and bass-wise in my quite loud band at practise (havent gigged it yet, but i'd DI anyway).
Despite what a couple of people have already said, the 2x10 HE provides a surprising amount of bass. I'd go for two 2x10's. You can break the rig down for practices and small gigs, and it'll certainly provide enough volume and bass when you use both. It's the cheaper option too!

Truckstop