Why become a member? ×

musicman stingray 5

andysg42

[quote name='andysg42' post='1215814' date='Apr 30 2011, 02:11 PM']Anybody tried putting a musicman 2 band eq in a stingray 5?always thought they sounded better than the 3 band,
if anybody has,does it sound much different.
thanks Andy :)[/quote]

Ask these lot [url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/[/url] then run as fast as you can dodging bullets

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1216135' date='Apr 30 2011, 08:58 PM']The original 'Ray 5 pick-ups were AlNiCo pre '92, too.[/quote]

But for a good while they had ceramic.
You could just lift out the 3 band and install an aftermarket 2 band. Or indeed the classic ray 5 has the 2 band and the better looking bridge.

thanks for the replies.
had an alnico seymour duncan pickup in the bass when i bought it,the previos owner said it had a ceramic in it from new,
butt didnt like it.
miss my pre ball stingray 4 i bought from soundwave bassplace in romford in 81,stupid me ,sold it,weighed a ton,but what a sound,
the 2 band eq in it was amazing,cut through butter.
whats the closest aftermarket 2 band 2 the the musicman
??
regards Andy.. :)

When I bought my SR5 it had a Bartolini, which I disliked so I got a Seymour Duncan, which I also disliked, so I got an Alnico Nordstrand which was fine. After several years of hunting I eventually found an EBMM but when I fitted it I didn't like that compared to the Nordstrand, so the Nordy has now been in there for 7 years now.

The closest after-market pre-amp to the original 2-band is the one made by John East, however when you fit it you will lose the coil-switching function which is a integral part of the EBMM SR5 3-band pre-amp, so you will have to decide whether to have it in series or parallel all the time. It is possible to wire it to include coil-switching however it does mean partially rewiring the pick-up to spearate out and put wires to the ends of all of the coils.

There is no guarantee that by fitting a 2-band you will get the sound you are looking for as the coil impedances of the 5-string pick-ups are different to the 4-string and this effects the frequency response.

[quote name='andysg42' post='1217229' date='May 2 2011, 09:35 AM']thanks for the replies.
had an alnico seymour duncan pickup in the bass when i bought it,the previos owner said it had a ceramic in it from new,
butt didnt like it.
miss my pre ball stingray 4 i bought from soundwave bassplace in romford in 81,stupid me ,sold it,weighed a ton,but what a sound,
the 2 band eq in it was amazing,cut through butter.
whats the closest aftermarket 2 band 2 the the musicman
??
regards Andy.. :)[/quote]

You could get a genuine EBMM 2 band pre amp, Try strings and things or failing that I beleive there is a guy on the EBMM forum that sells knock off replicas for about £30? I dont go there but from what I hear a lot of this getting shot down about upgrades etc is a load of tosh. If its got a Nordy in there coupled to the EBMM 2 band it should sound good IMO but you will never know until its in there.

As for your '81 pre EB sounding great, I bet it did! Nar nar na nar nar :)