Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Attitude Specials

iconic

Seafoam green Attitude Specials.....I don't much about them but I think they lack the scallops of the dearer models, anyone played one, and whats a slightly cosmetically challanged one worth a punt for....£200..I don't know?

What are the necks like....jazz bass or more a BB414?

looks similar to this one....black/black P pups, white woofer pup....plain white pickguard

cheers guys

Edited by iconic

They all have necks based more or less on the "baseball bat" style late 60s P's and Telebasses.

I wanted one of those for AGES, but kept missing out on them, they have a single out put, no scallops, a cut down working mans version of the Attitude!

So think BB414 but bigger, considerably bigger! If you've played one of the squire Tele basses or 60s P-basses its kind of like that in feel,

If its in good nick £200 sounds like a great price! I'd rather one of those over a Fender P any day! (well, most days!)

I think Dosi on here had one?

Also, that person must be a Mr. Big fan! PGM300 in the background and a Yamaha Attitude! I've been after a PGM300 for yonks! (Though apprently it would have to be a 301 so my brother could borrow it as he hates locking trems! haha)

Yamaha make great basses though! And from the older stuff i've played i'd say its been great quaility from then till now!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1217438' date='May 2 2011, 12:34 PM']They all have necks based more or less on the "baseball bat" style late 60s P's and Telebasses.

I wanted one of those for AGES, but kept missing out on them, they have a single out put, no scallops, a cut down working mans version of the Attitude!

So think BB414 but bigger, considerably bigger! If you've played one of the squire Tele basses or 60s P-basses its kind of like that in feel,

If its in good nick £200 sounds like a great price! I'd rather one of those over a Fender P any day! (well, most days!)

I think Dosi on here had one?[/quote]

the neck on my Telebass is my favorite neck.... :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1218436' date='May 3 2011, 11:23 AM']I like the look of them and who actually uses the scalloped frets?[/quote]

Well, Billy Sheehan. I imagine they help him communicate with his Thetans, or something.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1218436' date='May 3 2011, 11:23 AM']I like the look of them and who actually uses the scalloped frets?[/quote]

Alll the time!

I had the entire neck of my old squire scalloped (by me and a chisel! haha didn't go prefectly) i'm considering having it done (properly this time!) on my 6 string,

Before i snapped the neck and i have no pictures unfortunately (which means in Basschat terms it doesn't exist but i promise you it did/does!)

And 1) Juddging people by "Religion" is wrong (except in the UK its considered a Cult!) 2) He has become a better person since paying/"joining" 3) What he does is his own thing, even if it is a cult, and 4) A nicer man you will not meet! Unless like jesus comes back and introduces him self! Also, he supposedly still acts pretty much catholic,

but anyway, sorry for ranting etc! I just think he gets unneccesary bashing for being a Scientologist and because he "isn't a real bass player" when you can't make everyone happy so why try!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1219001' date='May 3 2011, 06:57 PM']but anyway, sorry for ranting etc! I just think he gets unneccesary bashing for being a Scientologist and because he "isn't a real bass player" when you can't make everyone happy so why try![/quote]

I'm not bashing his bass playing because of him being a Scientologist I just can't stand the whole thing, I've read a lot of books on the subject, some of my favourite actors have turned that way and I have lost of respect for them, not their acting, them.

Anyway sorry to derail the thread.

Also I understand you rant and also just because it's my opinion doesn't mean I'm saying it's right.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1219039' date='May 3 2011, 07:27 PM']I'm not bashing his bass playing because of him being a Scientologist I just can't stand the whole thing, I've read a lot of books on the subject, some of my favourite actors have turned that way and I have lost of respect for them, not their acting, them.

Anyway sorry to derail the thread.

Also I understand you rant and also just because it's my opinion doesn't mean I'm saying it's right.[/quote]

Also sorry for carrying things off topic, and i could have been less rude wayne so i apologise!

What they do is their buisness, as long as they keep rolling out decent films its all good!

But Iconic, buy IT! If you don't like it, i'll nab it from you. Simple :)

The Attitude Special doesn't have scalloped frets.
I've got one and it's a really good bass well worth the £200 (although I got mine for less a couple of years ago).Billy briefly played mine and was digging it :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1218708' date='May 3 2011, 03:37 PM']Is he one of 'those'?[/quote]

Apparently,he's been involved since the mid 70's,so he's not jumping on the fashionable bandwagon.Plus,he's not preachy about it,so who cares?

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1219001' date='May 3 2011, 06:57 PM']but anyway, sorry for ranting etc![/quote]

I accept your apology :)

There were some interesting interviews on Youtube, from when he's attended Scientology demonstrations during Project Chanology - however, they've since been removed.

Incidentally, I thought Tom Cruise was pretty decent in Valkyrie.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1219698' date='May 4 2011, 11:54 AM']I accept your apology :)

There were some interesting interviews on Youtube, from when he's attended Scientology demonstrations during Project Chanology - however, they've since been removed.

Incidentally, I thought Tom Cruise was pretty decent in Valkyrie.[/quote]

I saw all of them, he kept saying stuff then the other people (who clearly had no clue he had some form of fame!) around him were like "erm, no thats not what we believe we are... [insert wild statement] "

And no worries :)

and i enjoyed the last samurai :lol:

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1220178' date='May 4 2011, 07:42 PM']I saw all of them, he kept saying stuff then the other people (who clearly had no clue he had some form of fame!) around him were like "erm, no thats not what we believe we are... [insert wild statement] "[/quote]

It was a lot like when the guitarist/main man of the band is being ranty, and the bassist trys to interject with something a little more sensible, if the interview was supposed to be aimed at the bassist instead, I think it got a bit top trumps though.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1220398' date='May 4 2011, 10:58 PM']Indeed, my point was the bass doesn't need them as you'd probably never use them.[/quote]

But they are so useful. My brother had an Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, the whole board was scalloped. He loved it. if you have them, why not go for some great bends during your solos? Just a bit of fun.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1220462' date='May 5 2011, 12:04 AM']But they are so useful. My brother had an Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, the whole board was scalloped. He loved it. if you have them, why not go for some great bends during your solos? Just a bit of fun.[/quote]

I'm sure they are a lot of fun but just because the pricey model has them doesn't mean he should be put off of the cheaper version it's not exactly something someone usually looks for in a bass..

I don't understand why only a few frets have them on the BS version, surely it a 'whole board' thing.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1220463' date='May 5 2011, 12:08 AM']I don't understand why only a few frets have them on the BS version, surely it a 'whole board' thing.[/quote]

Billy does most of those bends up high. Over a whole board they change the feel of the whole instrument and I'm not sure they're really necessary on the whole board of a bass like they are on a guitar, for instance. They're also costly to carve. So it makes sense just to have them up high.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1220471' date='May 5 2011, 12:12 AM']Billy does most of those bends up high. Over a whole board they change the feel of the whole instrument and I'm not sure they're really necessary on the whole board of a bass like they are on a guitar, for instance. They're also costly to carve. So it makes sense just to have them up high.[/quote]

Good point.