Why become a member? ×

Urgent advice needed TC Electronics rs210

niceguyhomer

I had one briefly when owning an RH450 and very nice sounding cabs.
I wouldn't use it without PA support unless a low volume gig.
I had one gig where I used it as backline and it did get a little lost, but a 9 piece on small stage could have been the reason, plus being rear ported, placement of cab is important to get the best out of it.

Not sure what to do - I have a really important gig tonight. It's a six piece folk rock band with quite a loud drummer but we DI everything and have good monitoring.

Last night I rehearsed with an 80s trib band using my Epifani UL410 and sounded absolutely dreadful to the point where it affected my playing. I did wonder if the UL410 is a seriously bad match but I've been twiddling all morning with the shift / control settings (following K Jungs recommendations on TB) and I have some nice sounds in my headphones but obviously need to try them with my cab first.

If it still sounds poo I'm tempted to nip and buy an RS210 this afternoon bebause I'm downscaling anyway in the very near future.

I think it worth experimenting more to get the best out of it.
From my experience of using a UL310 and UL212, the Epi cabs are naturally very smooth (for want of a better word), not much definition unless the cab is driven hard.
The 450 out the box is smooth. If your sound is a little woolly I can imagine why.
Just my opinion... please don't go spending money on my comments.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1223105' date='May 7 2011, 12:44 PM']Not sure what to do - I have a really important gig tonight. It's a six piece folk rock band with quite a loud drummer but we DI everything and have good monitoring.

Last night I rehearsed with an 80s trib band using my Epifani UL410 and sounded absolutely dreadful to the point where it affected my playing. I did wonder if the UL410 is a seriously bad match but I've been twiddling all morning with the shift / control settings (following K Jungs recommendations on TB) and I have some nice sounds in my headphones but obviously need to try them with my cab first.

If it still sounds poo I'm tempted to nip and buy an RS210 this afternoon bebause I'm downscaling anyway in the very near future.[/quote]

Folk band...? punchy sound rather than loud. I think I would use it IF I had some time on it.
If your monitoring is ok... then that would make the task less fraught as you could turn up your bass monitors.
If you don't have bass in monitors then I'd go with what I knew. The TC cab would be a leap of faith for me..and an important gig wouldn't be my test bed.

What amp did you say was driving the Epi..?

Alan, I went through a similar situation with my RH450. Got a sensational sound with headphones but it didn't translate to gigging volumes with speakers. I was reading an article by Alex Clabber that went into the reasons why an amp needs to be set up at gigging volume.
If you want a "get out of jail free card", you can borrow either my Little Mark II or SA450, (you know and understand them) or even the TecAmp Combo. The TecAmp would easily suit you. I have used it without PA support in a large club and it easily coped.
I am rehearsing in chorley next week so you could drop off there, no need to bring it back. It is so easy to get a great sound out of it as it has a control similar to the MB VPF/VLE
You've got my number. Just give me a call if you need anything.

Edited by BassBunny

Depends on the size of the stage - loudness of band - room shape - quality of monitors etc lots of variables. I took a 212 as a lone cab at a very big gig (1000 seater) and wished i hadn't. The monitors were crap and i would have been better off with more cabs onstage. I usually take a 210 and 212 to venues i don't know then i will be covered for different eventualities. I do use the Little Mark amps though as i wasn't a big fan of the TC amps.

Edited by BottomE

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1223166' date='May 7 2011, 01:26 PM']....It's the new RH750 -I've been tweaking the 'centres' and tone settings this morning following recommendations on TB and it's now sounding brilliant through my headphones. If I can get near that sound tonight I'll be very happy....

We'll see.[/quote]
Hi Al, Unfortunately you won't get the headphone sound at a gig. The band and the room gets in the way. Were you tweaking when it sounded bad? I found that the whole TC tweak thing just gave me an opportunity to screw up my sound.

Since I've been I running my TC flat my sound has improved 1000%.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1223206' date='May 7 2011, 02:02 PM']Alan, I went through a similar situation with my RH450. Got a sensational sound with headphones but it didn't translate to gigging volumes with speakers. I was reading an article by Alex Clabber that went into the reasons why an amp needs to be set up at gigging volume.
If you want a "get out of jail free card", you can borrow either my Little Mark II or SA450, (you know and understand them) or even the TecAmp Combo. The TecAmp would easily suit you. I have used it without PA support in a large club and it easily coped.
I am rehearsing in chorley next week so you could drop off there, no need to bring it back. It is so easy to get a great sound out of it as it has a control similar to the MB VPF/VLE
You've got my number. Just give me a call if you need anything.[/quote]

Thanks Stuart, as always you're a real pal but it's actually for tonight. This is the last gig in the diary - I've decided to use the Epifani now I've got to know the amp a little better.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1223216' date='May 7 2011, 02:11 PM']Hi Al, Unfortunately you won't get the headphone sound at a gig. The band and the room gets in the way. Were you tweaking when it sounded bad? I found that the whole TC tweak thing just gave me an opportunity to screw up my sound.

Since I've been I running my TC flat my sound has improved 1000%.[/quote]

I was constantly knob twiddling TBH Chris. I realise I won't get the same sound as my headphones but what I meant to say was that I now seem to have a good balance and a starting point for the gig.

I can't say about the 210 Alan, but I use the RS212 with my RH750. With volume on halfway I don't any PA support. I set compressor to 1/3 of the way, tube tone to +2 'dots', back off the bass to -3 'dots', +1 'dot' on the low mids and same on high mids and leave the treble flat. I also have the cab (tweeter off) on a Gramma platform to counter any boomy floors. It did take me a while to find a default setting that I was happy with, and then it's only minor adjustments from there.

What were the recommendations from TB?

cheers

Steve

Well - it was a lot lot better tonight with the new settings and the other members of the band really liked it. It sounded like a bass should and it really filled the large stage and sat well in the mix.

The settings were as follows Steve;

Programming (shift);

Bass to -7 clicks
Low mids at 0
Hi mids at 0
Hi programmed to +7 clicks

Tone controls then set to;

Bass +3 clicks
Low mids at -2 clicks
Hi mids -3 clicks
Hi at -7 clicks
Sp Comp at +5 clicks.

Sounds a bit complex but it only took a minute to set up and store as a preset.

Yep - I think all will be well in Dingly Dell.