Why become a member? ×

Pro Tools & hardware problems !

Beedster

OK, I am probably being really stupid here, or there's a config glitch, but I've had to (hopefully) temporarily dismantle my studio and pack everything away. One of the band asked for a mix of a track we did late last year, so I logged onto the computer I use for recording today, and apparently I can't start Pro-Tools without the computer being connected to the respective hardware (I use Pro Tools M-Powered with Mackie 1640i hardware). I can't believe this is the case, but I don't seem to be able to find a way around it. Before I start trawling the recording forums, I thought someone here might be able to help?

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='TomKent' post='1228723' date='May 12 2011, 01:08 PM']Afaik, that is correct. That's why some people the small protools interface dongles for £70-80.[/quote]

Thanks Tom, is what you're describing separate from the dongle that comes with pro Tools, I assumed that was all I needed (it is in at present and recognised by the computer)? If so, could you point me in the direction of what you mean? Many thanks. C

[quote name='TomKent' post='1228723' date='May 12 2011, 01:08 PM']Afaik, that is correct. That's why some people the small protools interface dongles for £70-80.[/quote]

Is it this [url="http://www.wikirecording.org/Digidesign_Mbox"]http://www.wikirecording.org/Digidesign_Mbox[/url] ?

[quote name='TomKent' post='1228845' date='May 12 2011, 02:17 PM']That's the one.[/quote]

Thanks Tom, greatly appreciated. Amazing how I can't find anything in either the Pro Tools or Mackie manuals about this, I guess it falls literally between the two. Everything's easy when you know isn't it?

Cheers

C

• 2 months later...

Well a couple of months down the road and I'm none the wiser on this. Even DV247 from whom I bought the desk/software/computer said that they couldn't say with 100% confidence what it is that I need to run ProTools without the hardware attached to the computer. They suggested I phone M-Audio for clarification, but having done that once before during the initial setup, I don't think my nervous system will cope (the guy I spoke to seemed to assume that I was a PhD computer geek and simply couldn't explain things in non-technical language).

Any help, thought gratefully received folks as I need to get on with this project

C

Hi Beedster, ProTools M-Powered (and any other version) will require the hardware.In your case the Mackie desk to must be conencted in order for ProTools to run.
Even going for a cheap MBox would not work as they only run ProTools LE - Not M-Powered. This is the curse of ProTools and the hardware nightmare.

If you have the Mackie desk hooked up and your PC is seeing it ok then it might just need to be uninstalled and reinstalled - otherwise I would assume it was a bad cable or firewire port.

If you want to go without the hardware requirements I would HIGHLY recommend moving up to ProTools LE 9. You will gain LOTS of fantastic features including the much needed Delay compensation. And the only hardware requirement is a USB iLok to authorize the software and any plug ins you might have. You can still use the Mackie desk as your main interface but would also have the option to run on any hardware. I use it at home now, HD 8 for tracking in the studio, 9 at home and I can sit on the couch with just my headphones into my laptop for editing and rough mixing. Makes my work flow much easier.

[quote name='Archetype' post='1321265' date='Jul 30 2011, 12:59 PM']Hi Beedster, ProTools M-Powered (and any other version) will require the hardware.In your case the Mackie desk to must be conencted in order for ProTools to run.
Even going for a cheap MBox would not work as they only run ProTools LE - Not M-Powered. This is the curse of ProTools and the hardware nightmare.

If you have the Mackie desk hooked up and your PC is seeing it ok then it might just need to be uninstalled and reinstalled - otherwise I would assume it was a bad cable or firewire port.

If you want to go without the hardware requirements I would HIGHLY recommend moving up to ProTools LE 9. You will gain LOTS of fantastic features including the much needed Delay compensation. And the only hardware requirement is a USB iLok to authorize the software and any plug ins you might have. You can still use the Mackie desk as your main interface but would also have the option to run on any hardware. I use it at home now, HD 8 for tracking in the studio, 9 at home and I can sit on the couch with just my headphones into my laptop for editing and rough mixing. Makes my work flow much easier.[/quote]

Hi mate
Thanks very much, that's very useful (I assume I can from your post, but could I import and edit files recorded in Pro Tools M-Powered 8 into Pro Tools LE 9 and vice-versa?). I'll look into it ASAP
Chris

[quote name='Archetype' post='1321334' date='Jul 30 2011, 02:37 PM']However would you need to go back?[/quote]

To re-track any parts that don't work in the mix, or do i have to tell the guys they have to get it right first time!?

I guess I need this [url="http://www.dv247.com/computer-music-software/avid-m-powered-to-pro-tools-9-crossgrade--80626"]http://www.dv247.com/computer-music-softwa...ossgrade--80626[/url]?

Cheers

C

Well you could use PT9 on any system, it just's needs the USB ilok to run so you could track and mix on the same platform happily.

Yes all you would need is the cross grade, but do you have an iLok key already? possibly a blue or red shaped key?
I have something in my head saying m-powered keeps its licence on the iLok and again wouldn't run without it.

[quote name='Archetype' post='1321522' date='Jul 30 2011, 05:50 PM']Well you could use PT9 on any system, it just's needs the USB ilok to run so you could track and mix on the same platform happily.

Yes all you would need is the cross grade, but do you have an iLok key already? possibly a blue or red shaped key?
I have something in my head saying m-powered keeps its licence on the iLok and again wouldn't run without it.[/quote]

Yes I have the red iLok that is required to run M-powered. I guess the real question is whether my Mackie desk will run with PT9, and if not, whether I can load PT9 without it deleting PT (M-Powered) 8? If PT9 deletes my current software when it loads and doesn't run with the Mackie, I'm screwed!

[quote name='Archetype' post='1321265' date='Jul 30 2011, 12:59 PM']Hi Beedster, ProTools M-Powered (and any other version) will require the hardware.In your case the Mackie desk to must be conencted in order for ProTools to run.

If you want to go without the hardware requirements I would HIGHLY recommend moving up to ProTools LE 9. You will gain LOTS of fantastic features including the much needed Delay compensation. And the only hardware requirement is a USB iLok to authorize the software and any plug ins you might have. You can still use the Mackie desk as your main interface but would also have the option to run on any hardware. I use it at home now, HD 8 for tracking in the studio, 9 at home and I can sit on the couch with just my headphones into my laptop for editing and rough mixing. Makes my work flow much easier.[/quote]

Done and working (although not without a rather nasty moment when the vocal tracks seemed not to have arrived, but now sorted). Many thanks for the help above guys

Chris