Why become a member? ×

Nearest metal containing strings to Silver Slaps in feel?

Clarky

Hi all, I have Silver Slaps on both my DB and my Eminence EUB and love them. I like the woody, plummy tone I can coax from them and especially the low tension. However, I am installing a mag pickup on my DB, as I think this would be a useful fall-back if my piezo is going feedback-crazy in my very noisy 14-piece band. Hence I need a steel-containing string on my DB.

I have some Presto Ultralights which are similar to Silver Slaps but not quite as nice IMHO. There's loads of Spirocore love out there but how would a Silver Slaps player like me get on with Spirocore Weich/softs or other softer steel strings such as Velvets or Evah Pirazzis? Do any share any of the characteristics I like so much in Silver Slaps (low tension, soft feel etc)? As you all know, buying DB strings is an expensive exercise and I don't want to make a costly mistake here! Thanks , Clarky :-)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1233620' date='May 16 2011, 08:58 PM']Hi all, I have Silver Slaps on both my DB and my Eminence EUB and love them. I like the woody, plummy tone I can coax from them and especially the low tension. However, I am installing a mag pickup on my DB, as I think this would be a useful fall-back if my piezo is going feedback-crazy in my very noisy 14-piece band. Hence I need a steel-containing string on my DB.

I have some Presto Ultralights which are similar to Silver Slaps but not quite as nice IMHO. There's loads of Spirocore love out there but how would a Silver Slaps player like me get on with Spirocore Weich/softs or other softer steel strings such as Velvets or Evah Pirazzis? Do any share any of the characteristics I like so much in Silver Slaps (low tension, soft feel etc)? As you all know, buying DB strings is an expensive exercise and I don't want to make a costly mistake here! Thanks , Clarky :-)[/quote]

Hmm, don't think you'll get much closer than Presto Ultralight. Velvet Garbo wor for lots of folk but I found them really clanky and metallic. They're copper too ... does that work for mags? Evahs ... I've never tried.

Hows the Rattlin Bone gig? Must get to see you sometime in London, love the sound of that band. We should get together and swap notes sometime too.
Paul

Thanks Paul, after googling and reading up (and posting the same question on TalkBass) I've come to the conclusion that Prestos are my best bet and the good news is I already have them, so no need to spend any money!

Rattlin Bone going well thanks - we did a mini-tour of Portugal, got played on BBC Radio a few weeks back and have a couple of festival dates upcoming (Meadowlands, Upton Blues).

Not really sure I could give you any notes as I really am a total beginner on DB - thankfully RB's bass lines are incredibly simple and repetitive. Would love to have a lesson from you in how to slap some time in return for alcohol/monetary inducement!

you could bump some Spiros down Clarky, get a high C for the G, real nice low tension

i bump Spiro A&D to E&A and use lambert Deluxe D&G, lamberts have no steel so no good for mag pup, but the tension is nice and even and the slight tone difference isn't a problem when amplified loud with some EQ

Edited by slobluesine

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1234346' date='May 17 2011, 02:35 PM']you could bump some Spiros down Clarky, get a high C for the G, real nice low tension

i bump Spiro A&D to E&A and use lambert Deluxe D&G, lamberts have no steel so no good for mag pup, but the tension is nice and even and the slight tone difference isn't a problem when amplified loud with some EQ[/quote]

Ah yeah a psychobilly guy I know uses spiro solo sets and tunes them to standard concert tuning so he gets lower tension. Certainly seems to work for him.