Why become a member? ×

passive 5-string by Enigma - anyone know anything?

alyctes

Hi folks

I've been offered a passive, neck-through five-string, decently made, stamped 'Enigma' on the headstock; pups are two big humbuckers. No visible serial number, no model number. I've tried several web searches, and found pretty much nothing - a few copies of other designs (Precision, Strat, SG).

The owner wants £250 for it, and claims it cost £350. I think it's probably a good deal, but I also think it would have zero resale value. So I'm a bit wary of it.

Does anyone know anything about these?

[quote name='charic' post='1233901' date='May 17 2011, 07:37 AM']Any chance of pics? Im no help but Im curious :)[/quote]

Not very likely, unless I buy it... :lol:

Unfortunately, if I explain to them what its actual resale value is (which is probably £150 tops, given this has to be a no-name knockoff), I'll then not be able to buy it, because they will not be impressed.

What's happened here is that Teenage Sprog has prevailed on Parent to buy the thing to do GCSE Music with, then lost interest and decided to do a different course. Parent is now trying to recoup the cost. Sprog might yet actually learn to play, if left alone, but I suspect Parent is quite annoyed and has decided that Sprog can buy guitars with Sprog's own money. I have some sympathy with this position :)

Just to add confusion to the mix, the bass is being advertised under false pretences, as something it isn't. I'm not quite sure why, but the no-name probably has a lot to do with it.

Edited by alyctes

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...