Why become a member? ×

rare GUILD M85 m1 for sale

Sid Rainey

I'm no expert either Dave!!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1235820' date='May 18 2011, 03:15 PM']I'm no expert here, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like a MkI with a replacement pickup in the bridge. I don't think MkIIs had the master volume control on the lower horn, did they?

Is the body hollow?[/quote]

Thick bodied Mark I with Hagstrom Bisonic single-coils and master volume:

The Mark II has a thinner body than the Mark I:

Sheryl Crow with Mark II - Guild Humbuckers and no master volume:

As hinted at already, I think you'll want more pics in your ad (especially at that price).

Where are you based?

It's a mark one then!! EXACTLY like the first pic.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1235870' date='May 18 2011, 03:43 PM']Thick bodied Mark I with Hagstrom Bisonic single-coils and master volume:

The Mark II has a thinner body than the Mark I:

Sheryl Crow with Mark II - Guild Humbuckers and no master volume:

As hinted at already, I think you'll want more pics in your ad (especially at that price).

Where are you based?[/quote]

[quote name='Sid Rainey' post='1235627' date='May 18 2011, 01:05 PM']... rare Guild M85 m1 for sale - £2500 - serial no: bb248[/quote]
That serial number doesn't seem to be accounted for in Guild's lists. However, it sounds like 1969-71 period which would make it one of the last Mark Is I think.

Edited by EssentialTension

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Sid Rainey' post='1235627' date='May 18 2011, 01:05 PM']... rare Guild M85 m1 for sale - £2500 - serial no: bb248[/quote]

Hi there, I suspect yours is a MK2. I have a MK1 (serial number bb198). The MK 1s have just one Hagstrom bisonic pick up at the neck, volume & tone control plus a choke (to cut bass frequencies which I've disabled.

• 2 months later...

Looks like a Mk1 with one pickup replaced. Did this ever sell?

I did the same thing on mine, when I bought it (30 yrs ago) the bridge pup wasn't working so I put a humbucker in there. Recently I was going to put a Darkstar in there but discovered that the original pickup (which I'd kept) actually worked and the problem had been simply the wiring. So now putting it back to original configuration...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mmmalmberg' timestamp='1321996485' post='1445368']
Looks like a Mk1 with one pickup replaced. Did this ever sell?

I did the same thing on mine, when I bought it (30 yrs ago) the bridge pup wasn't working so I put a humbucker in there. Recently I was going to put a Darkstar in there but discovered that the original pickup (which I'd kept) actually worked and the problem had been simply the wiring. So now putting it back to original configuration...
[/quote]
Got any pics?

I definitely will have some pics, as I'm going to be selling it, ouch. Putting new pots and caps in hopefully this weekend. I'll put some pics up as soon as it's back together. It's pretty much just like this one, but without the extra vol. & switch, i.e. basic les paul type two vol's two tones and a pickup selector up above the neck.