Why become a member? ×

Calling Wal owners!

Clarky

I just bought a lovely 1983 Mk1 fretless with American Walnut facings (it replaces the skinnier-necked Mk 2/3 I just sold as I found the neck too thin). Anyways, unsurprisingly given its age, there are a few scrapes and abrasions here and there so I wondered if there is anything I can do to help polish/preserve the finish and also make the abrasions less visible - perhaps some kind of wax polish? I don't know how they seal the wood so I am nervous of just slapping on the usual polishes. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

BTW, I have sent the same enquiry to Wal's email address but based on my past experience I don't expect a reply in a timely manner (or maybe at all!)

From memory..its a thin coat of an acrylic of some sort. Best find out what it is/was back in '83 as a starter. My guess would be a slight sand and re-application of something compatible - nothing wax based is going to help further restoration.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1235903' date='May 18 2011, 04:08 PM']From memory..its a thin coat of an acrylic of some sort. Best find out what it is/was back in '83 as a starter. My guess would be a slight sand and re-application of something compatible - nothing wax based is going to help further restoration.[/quote]
Thanks BassBod, guess I had better hope that Paul Herman and co answer my email! My last email (looking for replacement screws) went unanswered ... :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1236238' date='May 18 2011, 08:10 PM']Ah, but then I found the missing screws, so all's well that ends well.[/quote]
Yep, after I had sold the bass and nine months after I emailed Paul Herman :)

[quote name='BassBod' post='1235903' date='May 18 2011, 04:08 PM']From memory..its a thin coat of an acrylic of some sort. Best find out what it is/was back in '83 as a starter. My guess would be a slight sand and re-application of something compatible - nothing wax based is going to help further restoration.[/quote]

+1 to this