Why become a member? ×

Gretsch bass

Ok chaps,

Looking for some info on the Gretsch basses out there and specifically the gretsch synchromatic. Does anyone have one and is this a decent bass to own???

I have read they are small and ideal for kids. However just wondering if a 'full' grown man would also happily have one in his collection.

Further more I have recently tried a Gretsch Broadkaster....Now to me this is a work of art and sounds amazing. I instantly asked the fella if he would take my ric in a swap. He said he would think about it.............Until then I think I will have sleepless nights :)

Apologies for the fact that at the time of writing I'm under the influence of a bottle of Arbelour, but my Gretch Thunderjet was rubbish. It looked like a work of art, it really did, but played and sounded like a piece of driftwood.

Does that help? Probably not, sorry.

[quote name='Rayman' post='1239869' date='May 22 2011, 12:50 AM']Apologies for the fact that at the time of writing I'm under the influence of a bottle of Arbelour, but my Gretch Thunderjet was rubbish. It looked like a work of art, it really did, but played and sounded like a piece of driftwood.

Does that help? Probably not, sorry.[/quote]

Hmmm I have rehearsals tomorrow at 12 so i have stuck with a 2litre of cider (those at the moffat bash will know i love my 2litre bottles :) )

Is the thunderjet the solidbody or the hollowbody? The one I tried was the hollowbody!!!!

Not going to help much either, but I had a Broadkaster a few years back and it was rubbish as well. I have never heard a more insipid, lifeless sound come from such a good looking bass (apart from Russ's Thunderjet, which I bought from him!).

Thunder Jet is hollow, BUT has a solid block in the centre of it for sustain, so I guess you'd describe it as a chambered body rather than hollow.

Bob and myself are agreed on the sound though. It really wasn't good for me at all, although in the right band I guess it would be great, but just not mine. Very dull and not even that thumpy either, just kind of lifeless, even with new strings and all. On the plus side, it really did look utterly beautiful it really did, I was so disappointed when I gigged it though. The band were all turning around to me and pulling faces, always a bad sign, so I used a Precision for the rest of the gig.

If I could've afforded to just keep it and have it as an investment I would've, purely for it's looks.