Why become a member? ×

Modding a DI Box

jim_bass

I've just acquired 2 x Peavey EDB-1 Active DI boxes for free.

They take a 9V battery or a mains adaptor, which I don't have. What's confusing me is that the required adaptor is 16.5v (1 amp) centre positive.

How come it doesn't use a 9v mains if it takes a 9v battery?

Seeing as how we go through batteries like there's no tomorrow as we have lots of wireless mics, I am really keen to avoid getting anything else that needs them.

Firstly, is it possible to easily convert it to use phantom power? If this is not an easy option, I was wondering about simply disconnecting the battery clip and replacing it with a case mounted 9v centre negative socket. That way our guitarists could use them with their multi power supplies, like my 1-spot.

Any ideas or suggestions?

All the Peavey gear I've come across requires 16.5V if powered externally. Probably easier for them to only have to supply one type of mains adaptor that will work with all their gear.

BTW the PSU input should be 16.5V [i][b]AC[/b][/i] so AFAIK only a Peavey PSU will work with it.

according to the [url="http://www.peavey-eu.com/pdf_display.php?sys=ALL&type=PDM_6_OS&level=PDM_6&tbl=system&def=A_1&key=326"]spec sheet[/url] it'll already run on phantom power from a desk via the xlr out

i've got a berhringer di box that will take a 9v batter or phantom power, as will the ebs microbass.

they'll run fine at a lower voltage, but for best performance, you should use the +48 phantom powering

hope this helps

Edited by ahpook