Why become a member? ×

who plays with pick cover and bridge cover on?

gub

I am thinking of putting a bridge cover on my fender jazz ,i would love to put a pick cover on too but feel this would get in the way as i tend to rest my thumb on top of the pickup . anyone else play with these on?

Edited by gub

Yes, I've just started to do so. I find it encourages me to play nearer the bridge where it's beautifully plumby in tone. I'm also using the the thumb rest for the first time. I can also play down the bridge end for a tighter fingerstyle funk tone. Effectively, it splits the bass into two tone options. And it looks sooo lovely.
I'm unsure about the reason it was there in the first place - anyone?

Edit, mine's a P, not a J

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1242165' date='May 23 2011, 09:08 PM']I'm unsure about the reason it was there in the first place - anyone?[/quote]

under the bridge cover there was a little bit of foam sticking underneath in the early years, so you have that little mute on the strings from above.
over the pickup it was used to prevent interspersion?(do you call it like this in english?)
that is what i know about it.

i love the look of the covers on j and p basses, but on a p the pickup cover is at my sweetspot, so i only use a bridge cover.
same on a J..unfortunately..because i really dig to the style with pickup covers as well.

I play with the cover on my Rick - just never got round to taking it off, so I'm just used to playing it that way.

I used to play with covers on my Precision (same one in avatar) but the bridge one came off after a couple of years when I realised I did a lot of palm muting and then the pick up cover came off when I started learning slap as the strings kept rattling off it.

I do quite like them aesthetically though, and if you play finger stylee or with a pick, then its pretty do-able.

I've got a very "road worn" Precision but the covers look brand new. They've been in the sock drawer since the day I bought the bass. I've never played a bass with the covers and as I play right on the pickup I don't even know if I could!

Edited by chris_b

there are many tones you can get from your finger as we all know, depending on where your pluck, pick, strum from.. there is no doubt these (cool looking) pickup covers get in the way.. i like to use the whole breadth of the string, so they get in the way.. but ive got to say i love the look of them.. erm.. ive left them on sometimes.. fashion over function and all

IMO (only talking Fender here) its the only silliness, in Fenders brilliant design

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1242181' date='May 23 2011, 08:20 PM']under the bridge cover there was a little bit of foam sticking underneath in the early years, so you have that little mute on the strings from above.
over the pickup it was used to prevent interspersion?(do you call it like this in english?)
that is what i know about it.

i love the look of the covers on j and p basses, but on a p the pickup cover is at my sweetspot, so i only use a bridge cover.
same on a J..unfortunately..because i really dig to the style with pickup covers as well.[/quote]
I think you mean interference ? They were originally wired in as part of the shielding in '51 precisions - see The Fender BASS Manual book

[quote name='Geek99' post='1243839' date='May 25 2011, 09:22 AM']I think you mean interference ? They were originally wired in as part of the shielding in '51 precisions - see The Fender BASS Manual book[/quote]

Yes..that word sounds good as well:)

The 51RI has a full set of covers. The Pickup cover on these is only slightly wider than the strings, and is easy to use as a thumb rest. The standard Precision has the covers on sometimes. Not at the moment, The pickup cover is much wider to cover the split-coil, so is much less comfortable as a thumb rest. Similarly, the Jazz pickup cover is quite wide. Either pickup cover is good as a plam rest, of course. Damn, but they look good when they're on, especially on an all-black P!

Sometime over the end of 70s/ early 80s, when the Yamaha team (John McClaren/William Schultz/Dan Smith) were bought in by CBS. Insofar as it's possible to pinpoint, 1982 seems to be the year they finally disappeared for good on standard basses.