Why become a member? ×

In search of a particular tone

Lysdexia

Hi guys - so, I have a Fender Jazz and a Line6 lowdown LD150 ad I'm trying to add that growl I hear on the two songs mentioned into my sound.

I use the octaver on the lowdown, and it's fine barring the lower registers where it all falls apart - rather delightfully I'll add n a sonic sense, but not in any controllable or accurate sense.

I don't mind adding an effect or effects to my sound - how best to get 'that' sound?

Edited by Lysdexia

[quote name='SteveK' post='1245313' date='May 26 2011, 10:42 AM']Buy a fretless Musicman Stingray and a boss octaver - sorted![/quote]

Yeah. You don't say whether your J is fretted or not and both of those tracks were played on fretless basses. Might be a challenge to replicate those tones on a fretted!!

[quote name='SteveK' post='1245313' date='May 26 2011, 10:42 AM']Buy ... a boss octaver![/quote]
Someone was selling one cheap at work a few months ago and I snapped it up. I've still not played with it...

[quote name='martthebass' post='1246247' date='May 26 2011, 09:06 PM']Think Sledgehammer was on a fretless Cutlass (can't remember if I or II but deffo graphite neck).[/quote]

It was a Sabre with a custom Graphite neck after the original neck warped.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1246590' date='May 27 2011, 07:48 AM']I'm pretty sure that Palladino used a fretless Pedulla Buzz on "Playhouse down"..[/quote]

The recording was done on his fretless Stingray, but you are correct in recalling that Pino used his Pedulla Buzz fretless on one of the videos for 'Playhouse' (the one filmed in the theatre). Pino bought his Buzz fretless to use on the Don Henley session for 'New York Minute' when he found his fretless Stingray had been sent back to the UK by mistake and he needed an instrument ASAP!!! oops!!

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='1247868' date='May 28 2011, 05:48 AM']Pino bought his Buzz fretless to use on the Don Henley session for 'New York Minute' when he found his fretless Stingray had been sent back to the UK by mistake and he needed an instrument ASAP!!! oops!![/quote]
That is a gorgeously sensual bassline. I really don't know where Pino's genius comes from. I feel like washing my ears with medical soap afterwards.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1248035' date='May 28 2011, 11:04 AM']That is a gorgeously sensual bassline. I really don't know where Pino's genius comes from. I feel like washing my ears with medical soap afterwards.[/quote]
Oooh, the imagery!
Totally agree about the bassline, mind.

Nice amp those, for the money. I loved one when I tried it in the shop, would've got one in place of my half stack if I wasn't sick of combos. There's that one setting that gets you the ultimate David Ellefson/Megadeth tone. Perhaps not your cup of tea musically, but by far the best bass tone I've ever got out of an amp of this sort. :)