Why become a member? ×

custom neck build - how much??

mojobass

ive got two warwick fortresses at present and LOVE the feel/profile of them, so i'd love to have a custom built neck with the same profile etc and woods (wenge/wenge) for a project build. Anyone any idea how much (roughly) it would cost to have one built from scratch?

[quote name='mojobass' post='1245762' date='May 26 2011, 04:25 PM']ive got two warwick fortresses at present and LOVE the feel/profile of them, so i'd love to have a custom built neck with the same profile etc and woods (wenge/wenge) for a project build. Anyone any idea how much (roughly) it would cost to have one built from scratch?[/quote]
What's the spec? A plain neck can be quite reasonable but once you start adding binding and inlays it goes up kinda steep :) The fun part of it is you can tweak the design, like coming up with your own headstock shape to complement the shape of the project body.

There's a lot work in making a neck so I'd expect it to be more expensive than you think. It’s also a cost that you are unlikely to recoup if you sell the bass.

A couple of weeks ago I asked Lakland about a fretted rosewood neck for my bass and they quoted $1000/£600 plus shipping.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1246796' date='May 27 2011, 11:54 AM']There's a lot work in making a neck so I'd expect it to be more expensive than you think. It’s also a cost that you are unlikely to recoup if you sell the bass.

A couple of weeks ago I asked Lakland about a fretted rosewood neck for my bass and they quoted $1000/£600 plus shipping.[/quote]
I would think that a fair chunk of that would be for the Lakland transfer on the headstock...

If youi want a quality/quality job to certain neck Dims..get Sims to scan and recreate it. It is an old pro trick for when their basses die on them and they want the same in a newer model.

Neck will not be cheap...around £400 and counting, depending on what else you want to add, but it will be Quality...IMO.

[quote name='mojobass' post='1245762' date='May 26 2011, 03:25 PM']ive got two warwick fortresses at present and LOVE the feel/profile of them, so i'd love to have a custom built neck with the same profile etc and woods (wenge/wenge) for a project build. Anyone any idea how much (roughly) it would cost to have one built from scratch?[/quote]

Might be worth getting in touch with Doug Wilkes.

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2010/10/doug-wilkes-guitar-builder.html"]Doug Wilkes[/url]

Cheers. :)

Reading this thread made me fire off emails to Martin Sims and Doug Wilkes. I'm thinking of getting a slab Precision body made, a la '66 uncontoured split-coil slabs, and mating it to a MIM P neck.

Edited by Telebass