Why become a member? ×

neck problems

stu_g

hi i have a couple of necks with issues and a hohner b2a with a neck problem also
the hohner has a backward bend and as the trussrod only is only effective on a forward bow im unsure what i can do with it
this problem also effects one of my necks i bought from america for a p bass project the neck is brand new but has a backward bow
and lastly i have a sunn mustang bass neck which i really wanted to fit to a body i had around but it appears the truss rod thread is stripped
so basically what im asking is are these repairable or should i scrap them cheers for any advice

The backbow would imply that the truss rod has been loosened off too much. If you tighten the truss rod it will slowly create a forward bow which will counteract the back bow. Tighten it a bit at a time until the neck tightens (turn it clockwise).

If this doesn't work, that could mean the truss rod has broken etc... But it's unlikely unless it's been over wound in th past.

As for the threaded truss rod cover... I've heard of luthiers fixing this by using a strong adhesive to add a new screw to the threaded cap. I wouldn't want to attempt it myself but if you take it to a decent tech or luthier they may be able to sort it (or at least tell you if it's worth fixing).

Shep

[quote name='Johnston' post='1248654' date='May 28 2011, 09:09 PM']Is that not arse about tit.

If it has a back bow should you not loosen off the truss to allow the strings to pull it forward ??[/quote]

Ooops. Sorry... Long day.

Correct! It would imply the rod had been over tightened so loosen it to allow the strings to pull the neck back :)