Why become a member? ×

Fret buzz, from behind the fretted note

Marvin

When I play the C♯ on the E string (ie 9th fret) the string rattles and buzzes on the frets behind that note. If I fret C and C♯ it disappears, hence the string must be buzzing on the lower frets.

I don't know whether I need to tweak the truss rod to straighten or put more relief in it. What I have noticed is that on other occasions when I've put more relief in the neck is that notes above the 12th fret start to choke a lot, so that option could be some what limited.

Cheers

[quote name='Marvin' post='1248871' date='May 29 2011, 06:44 AM']When I play the C♯ on the E string (ie 9th fret) the string rattles and buzzes on the frets behind that note. If I fret C and C♯ it disappears, hence the string must be buzzing on the lower frets.

I don't know whether I need to tweak the truss rod to straighten or put more relief in it. What I have noticed is that on other occasions when I've put more relief in the neck is that notes above the 12th fret start to choke a lot, so that option could be some what limited.

Cheers[/quote]
I have had something similar. Sounds like one fret wire is standing too far proud and the neck needs a fret stoning. Any luthier or guitar shop should be able do this quite cheaply

Edited by Clarky

I'd suggest adding a touch more relief into the neck (loosen the truss rod a tiny bit) and see if it goes. Probably will, but you may also need to bring the bridge saddles down (again a tiny bit?) if the strings feel too high.

Thank you, both.

I'll have a look later today and try and make some fine adjustments. Unfortunately I can't get to my nearest guitar shop for about 2 weeks. However, I'll dropping the bass in soon after to get it set up properly and sort a couple little niggles out.

Just a wee update.

Took the strings off, gave it a good clean and made sure the bridge was all tidy. Put the strings back on (always handy :)). Loosened the truss rod slightly to give a little more relief and adjusted the saddles and intonation.

Result = no more buzz (sorry Buzz, nothing personal :)). The action is a little higher than I would like, but until I can get it to a guitar shop it'll be fine.

Thanks again.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1248871' date='May 29 2011, 06:44 AM']When I play the C♯ on the E string (ie 9th fret) the string rattles and buzzes on the frets behind that note. If I fret C and C♯ it disappears, hence the string must be buzzing on the lower frets.

Cheers[/quote]

I think you could fix this by tweaking the truss rod either way, but it would be better to get the frets dressed.

But this sort of buzz should only be audible acoustically - it shouldn't come through the amp. So it might be best to just live with it until you can get the frets properly sorted.

[quote name='mart' post='1250017' date='May 30 2011, 10:51 AM']I think you could fix this by tweaking the truss rod either way, but it would be better to get the frets dressed.

But this sort of buzz should only be audible acoustically - it shouldn't come through the amp. So it might be best to just live with it until you can get the frets properly sorted.[/quote]
You're entirely right. I tried practising last night but found the action far too high for me, nearly unplayable. So tightened the truss rod so the neck is now substantially straighter and the buzzing hasn't returned.

However, yes the frets will need to be dressed properly. I will get to this as soon as I can.

How old are the strings? If they've been played for ages they can very occasionally get worn where they make contact with the frets and that can cause buzzing.

Slackening the string and rotating it round can fix this easily, you may actually have done that when you took the strings off to make the adjustments.

It's unlikely to be the cause but I'd check the strings are OK before shelling out on fret dress just in case :)

Get a luthier to check it, if it happens on the same fret on every string it's likely to he a high fret, it could just need a good setup or it could be that the nut slots are too low which would cause buzzing behind the frets. If the string/s rattle when your playing an open note it's more likely to be the nut slot/s.