Why become a member? ×

Snap crackle and pop

chrisd24

A friend of mine recently bought a Roland electric drum kit and I said I would lend him an old powered monitor I had kicking around for when he didn't want to use headphones…that's Shen the problems started! The tweeter is hissing ang crackling like mad at certain frequencies,if I just change the tweeter is this likely to resolve this or is this problem likely to be inside? I have checked all connections and a had a cleanup in there but it's made no difference.

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1248959' date='May 29 2011, 10:11 AM']A friend of mine recently bought a Roland electric drum kit and I said I would lend him an old powered monitor I had kicking around for when he didn't want to use headphones…that's Shen the problems started! The tweeter is hissing ang crackling like mad at certain frequencies,if I just change the tweeter is this likely to resolve this or is this problem likely to be inside? I have checked all connections and a had a cleanup in there but it's made no difference.[/quote]

Try just disconnecting the wires to the tweeter. If that gets rid of the noise then you know where the problem is. You can then decide whether or not you need the tweeter (which I'd guess you probably would for the cymbals), in which case replace it.

By the way,
[quote name='chrisd24' post='1248959' date='May 29 2011, 10:11 AM']..an old powered monitor I had kicking around[/quote]

Kicking your amps around isn't good for them. :)