Why become a member? ×

Help me decide.

Matt_Arlita

Yes, sorry for the latest 'lightweight kit dilemma' thread!

Narrowed it down to:

Markbass Little Mark II/III (Used for £350 ish)
Orange Terror Bass ( New for £400)
Ampeg PF-500 (New for £350ish on Thomann)

Gonna be pairing one of these with a Barefaced Compact.

I've come from an Ampeg SVT450H and a 6x10...loved the tone but going to be selling the motor soon as I'm going to Uni, and I need a lightweight rig to take on the bus!

I'm in a retro-rock band along the lines of the Dead Weather, Raconteurs, Graveyard, 'Sabbath and like that gritty, but not farty tubey sounding deliciousness. I play fingerstyle and use a Ricky 4003/P-Bass.

I'm leaning towards the PF500 to retain the Ampegness and grit...do you think I'm right? I hear the Orange is a one trick pony...

Cheers guys!

From those listed, I`ve had a Terror - great amp, very loud, but tonally somewhat limited - and currently got the PF-500.

I previously had an Ampeg SVBT3-PRO as well, and to me, Ampeg is the god of bass amps.

I was amazed when I tried out the PF-500 - it really is true Ampeg sound, in a great lightweight head. easily portable, and plently powerful through my 8 ohm 410 cab. Used in a rock band with 2 gtrs, and an indie/punk band with 3 gtrs, I`ve not needed the volume on more than 3.

If you like the Ampeg sound, I think you`ll be happy with the PF-500. I am.

Edited by Lozz196

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Matt_Arlita' post='1274605' date='Jun 19 2011, 12:20 PM']Update...gone for the PF-500

Andertons refit sale...£299! Couldn't say no.

Can't wait for it to arrive :)[/quote]

Good bargain - I got mine from Andertons at £346 - they price-matched for me, and I was happy with that price, £299 is just amazing!

I`ve just spent a weekend in the studio with mine, and the recorded sound from it is great. All tone controls flat, ultra-low engaged, gain on 7, compression on 5, DI`d post-eq - just a great solid Ampeg sound.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1274782' date='Jun 19 2011, 02:55 PM']You cant grumble at £299 can you, nice one![/quote]
Now that's interesting (as is the 350 for smaller gigs). Shame I'm not in the office for 10 days now to be able to shamble up at lunchtime