Why become a member? ×

tanglewood bass

blind pilot

Hey guys n girls.

just snagged a cheap bass of the bay, and from what I can see it is a Tanglewood MM44.

The electronis are a right mess, broken pot, wires not connected etc, but even just bodging up the wiring, Its got a nice clanky, alomst ricky sound.

the pup has EMC electronics on it, but can anyone shed any light on them?

IE how old etc?

thanks

BP

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1258527' date='Jun 6 2011, 04:15 PM']Hey guys n girls.

just snagged a cheap bass of the bay, and from what I can see it is a Tanglewood MM44.

The electronis are a right mess, broken pot, wires not connected etc, but even just bodging up the wiring, Its got a nice clanky, alomst ricky sound.

the pup has EMC electronics on it, but can anyone shed any light on them?

IE how old etc?

thanks

BP[/quote]

I could be wrong but if it's the MM copy about 10 years ol.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1258558' date='Jun 6 2011, 04:34 PM']Get yerself a Basslines pickup and internal preamp combo in that there bass and you'll have a beasty! :)[/quote]

[attachment=81887:bass2.jpg]

I was thinking of modding this one.

I dont like the colour, thinking nice high gloss black.

I does need a pre amp, as the wiring is shot. It has a pick with MEC electronics stamped in/on it. not sure if that was standard fitment, but as I say, even with the wiring bodged, it sounds real nice and clanky, think of paul d'amours tone on opiate and undertow and that is where it sits! very nice!

have also found out about a stingray copy preamp, looks like a doddle to knock up , using a LM4250 chip, may have to go down that route as it should be very affordable!

Edited by blind pilot

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1258570' date='Jun 6 2011, 04:40 PM'][attachment=81887:bass2.jpg]
I does need a pre amp, as the wiring is shot. It has a pick with MEC electronics stamped in/on it. not sure if that was standard fitment, but as I say, even with the wiring bodged, it sounds real nice and clanky, think of paul d'amours tone on opiate and undertow and that is where it sits! very nice![/quote]

EMC is what Tanglewood uses.
MEC is what Warwick uses.

same letters, different order... easily confused.

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1258551' date='Jun 6 2011, 04:30 PM'][attachment=81880:bass1.jpg]

It is the MM copy.

I like it, and considering it was £46.00 and comes with a rather nice Stagg gig bag, Methinks I have got a bargain![/quote]
Much better price than the guy selling one in the more eBay fun thread who paid £360 for it a real Ray! Now trying to pass the neck off as real on a hybrid body. Your also has a more mm like pup where the new tanglewood ones have a kind of double jazz thing instead.

Could turn out good for a few quid, Nice one :)

I had one of these mm copies by tanglewood in the mid 90s, a friend of mine still has it, very good bass IMO , also used a tanglewood acoustic 6 string back then

I even played my tanglewood bass at my wedding in 97, it's in my wedding album !

Edited by lojo

There is another one on [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tanglewood-Stingray-Bass-Guitar-/120733458715?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c1c46611b#ht_500wt_965"]ebay[/url] not sure if it is the same age etc. I really liked the Tanglewood bass with the f holes not sure what it was called though.