Why become a member? ×

Precision feel but Stingray sound?

Crikey!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1260839' date='Jun 8 2011, 10:11 AM']Tried it. I rewired Neepheid's L-2000 trib for him to see if we could open up the possibilities and get a 'ray-esque tone... couldn't - the physical differences are just too vast, let alone not having the correct eq.

[b]Not long after that I realised that the only way to get a 'ray tone (even as a reference tone) is with a 'ray.... or a SUB...[/b][/quote]
Forgot to mention the Pingray again. :) Third option obviously is to build what you want using MM parts.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1260887' date='Jun 8 2011, 10:41 AM']Could have saved myself a post if I'd seen this. :lol:

Second part : I suspect you've been listening to your tutor (or someone else banging on about your technique) too much Matt. :)
This new negative thing about what Johnny Punter thinks (or not) about your tone is pish. The assumption that no one listening to you is a bass or indeed a music fan is bad - ok the percentage won't be high but there will be some punters out there who can tell a good sound when they hear it... do it for them/us. :D Also there's the science bit (which I'm sure is what you got off on to start with) it's not just about "upgrading" it's about exploring the possibilities and learning the limits of your instrument. Like you did with your Les Paul - in your quest for excellence you've modded it out of it's own price bracket but you did it, it was fun and you learned stuff. Cheer up bud. [/sermon]

btw - I've turned many an apple into, not an orange but a peach. :)[/quote]

Amen brother.

No doubt brother Matt will find his way back from the darkness and return to the search of tone and gas;-)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1260887' date='Jun 8 2011, 10:41 AM']Could have saved myself a post if I'd seen this. :lol:

Second part : I suspect you've been listening to your tutor (or someone else banging on about your technique) too much Matt. :)
This new negative thing about what Johnny Punter thinks (or not) about your tone is pish. The assumption that no one listening to you is a bass or indeed a music fan is bad - ok the percentage won't be high but there will be some punters out there who can tell a good sound when they hear it... do it for them/us. :lol: Also there's the science bit (which I'm sure is what you got off on to start with) it's not just about "upgrading" it's about exploring the possibilities and learning the limits of your instrument. Like you did with your Les Paul - in your quest for excellence you've modded it out of it's own price bracket but you did it, it was fun and you learned stuff. Cheer up bud. [/sermon]

btw - I've turned many an apple into, not an orange but a peach. :)[/quote]

Was the fruitless pun really that bad? :lol:

Perhaps my irritation at the first part spilled over into the second bit, but I will say that I'm definitely feeling a shift away from modding and piddling around and more time spent actually playing the bass. You are right that efforts should continue to be made to make sure one sounds as good as one can given the usual constraints of house backline and not being in control of your FOH sound. GIGO is as applicable to the sound source as the player after all.

I still think that I have spent more time in my formative bass years piddling around with pickups, preamps and wires than actually playing the damn basses, and I think that balance needs to be restored by not putting basses under drill presses for a while :D

The trend is away from modded basses in my collection also - once the Les Paul goes, the L-2000 will be the only modded bass I have, and that mod is as subtle as it is reversible and optional - as an elegant mod should be, of course.

Of course, the house of "under-appreciated basses from the 70s and 80s" will continue to expand :P Where's that El Toro?

[quote name='BB3000S' post='1260793' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:44 AM']Get this ^^^
Amazing price, great looks, and nothing will do the Stingray sound as good as a Stingray - simple as that.[/quote]
+1 is this the smoke one with a chip in it? If it is it looks ace other than the chip, either add to the damage over the years or get it repaired when funds allow at a later date, that colour is amazing!

[quote name='henry norton' post='1261058' date='Jun 8 2011, 12:18 PM']I'd have to go with general opinion and say get some work, save some extra cash and go for the proper Ray. Every bass player should own a Stingray at some time during their life. (EB, Pre EB, 4 or 5, doesn't matter). It's a rite of passage we should all take :)[/quote]

Or copy me and buy them all! My passage has been well and truly taken :)

Just a thought: What about an Ibanez ATK 400? P-width neck and nicely contoured body. With the pup switching options you can get a good P sound right the way through to a[i] very[/i] zingy tone. Cheaper to buy than a Stingray too. Here's mine. It's not that easy to see the bridge pup from the photo, but it is there:

[attachment=82171:005.JPG]

If anybody wants have a go on it, you're welcome to come round any time. You'll be able to compare it with my Fender P and my G&L L2000.

Or you could buy that 'ray for £600 - bargain.

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1261367' date='Jun 8 2011, 04:57 PM']One of those Sandbergs would seen an ideal compromise, Precision shape neck and body with a humbucker at the bridge for big Stingray sounds.[/quote]
They would seem that way, but the humbucker on both their P- and J-model is much to close to the bridge for even getting near a Stingray sound (just like on Laklands btw). In addition the magnets are ceramics and the humbucker is wired in series. I had a JM4 wehere I added a 3-way switch to give me series - single coil - parallell, and in parallell it got a little bit closer but still way off the real deal. More like a fat bridge J-pickup.

Awesome bass in it's own right though:

Not to beat a dead horse (or hey why not), but only a Stingray will do the Stingray thing. :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1261302' date='Jun 8 2011, 03:10 PM']..I still think that I have spent more time in my formative bass years piddling around with pickups, preamps and wires than actually playing the damn basses, and I think that balance needs to be restored by not putting basses under drill presses for a while :)[/quote]
Yeah you probably did jump the gun a bit, so what. That was only because you are facinated by the physicality of the instrument - the woods, the electrodynamics and how they interact and can be manipulated to produce different tones, dynamics etc. The end result is that you now have a greater inner knowledge of "the bass" than most learners/intermediates, you can do a decent set up and you are awash with "bass facts". All that's left for you is to figure out the musical side of the equation. By all means work on the fingers, keep up the lessons (I wish I'd had that opportunity back in the '80s and '90s) but also develop an ear for bass... and right up there with listening, is recognising the nuances of tone (not just the notes) and how you alter them with your different playing styles, and (relevant to this conversation) how that can be assisted by physically changing the instrument itself to help you get closer to the sound that represents you or the style of music you play.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1261302' date='Jun 8 2011, 03:10 PM']..The trend is away from modded basses in my collection also - once the Les Paul goes, the L-2000 will be the only modded bass I have, and that mod is as subtle as it is reversible and optional - as an elegant mod should be, of course.

Of course, the house of "under-appreciated basses from the 70s and 80s" will continue to expand :) Where's that El Toro?[/quote]
Nah man there's lots of love for the El Torro .... your collection needs an L-1500 that's the only Marmite bass G&L ever did. :lol:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1262641' date='Jun 9 2011, 01:26 PM']Yeah you probably did jump the gun a bit, so what. That was only because you are facinated by the physicality of the instrument - the woods, the electrodynamics and how they interact and can be manipulated to produce different tones, dynamics etc. The end result is that you now have a greater inner knowledge of "the bass" than most learners/intermediates, you can do a decent set up and you are awash with "bass facts". All that's left for you is to figure out the musical side of the equation. By all means work on the fingers, keep up the lessons (I wish I'd had that opportunity back in the '80s and '90s) but also develop an ear for bass... and right up there with listening, is recognising the nuances of tone (not just the notes) and how you alter them with your different playing styles, and (relevant to this conversation) how that can be assisted by physically changing the instrument itself to help you get closer to the sound that represents you or the style of music you play.

Nah man there's lots of love for the El Torro .... your collection needs an L-1500 that's the only Marmite bass G&L ever did. :)[/quote]

Under the sheer weight of numbers one could argue that all G&Ls are under-appreciated :)

Marmite bass? Try the Interceptor! Looks only a mother could love - imho of course!