Why become a member? ×

Please look at this custom wiring for my new build

Hi,

A few months ago I posted some questions about mw project "EPJ" bass. This is an ash P-bass body and Jazz neck with a DiMarzio "Model One" (for Gibson EB series) at the neck, a Seymour Duncan "Basslines" Quarter pounder split P-bass pickup in the middle, and a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz at the bridge position. The idea was to have a blendable tone based on the position and type of each pickup, i.e. thick bass from the Model One, punch and growl from the P-bass and clarity from the Jazz.

I chose the pickups with the help of some the chaps here (mainly Outshined), and had originally intended to use a V/T, V/T, V/T electrical setup, a bit like a '62 Jazz, but with an extra pickup. In the end I decided that this was not a good idea as multiple tone controls have a habit of interfering with each other, and I did not want the whole bass to be only wired in series like a Jazz (I mostly play in a hard rock band at present, although I do some funky stuff too, so I need flexibility and power). And I could not work out a decent way to have series/parallel switiching on all three pickups.

In the end, I decided the best thing to do would be go for a VVVT setup instead, with the neck "Model One" wired permanently in series, and the P/J middle and bridge pickups switchable between series and parallel. I put a polarity switch on the Model One so that it can be switched between series and parallel inseide the humbucker to give a brighter, woodier tone at the neck if needed.

Finally, I have put in a single tone control, and a master volume on a stacked pot.

I'll admit that I'm no expert when it comes to bass wiring, and i have done a lot of research to try and understand what i am doing. The attached diagram is based on a number of different wiring looms, and has been designed from a modular basis and them put together to make what i need. Trouble is, I have no idea whether there are reasons that these "modules" might not work well together, so I need some xpert eyes cast over my diagram. For the record, the series/parallel polarity switch for the Model one came from DiMarzios installatuion instructions, but I added it to a push/pull pot instead of the supplied toggle switch. The P/J part below that was made from a Seymour Duncan Jazz bass with series/parallel switching diagram from their website, with slightly altered wiring for the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz at the bridge. The master tone and volume came from a a VVVT diagram I scrounged off the web where all of the pickups were in series, and used 5 pots, so i stole that part and used a stacked pot for both to save space.

The bass is nearly finished, the pickup cavities have been milled and the hardware is on, I just need to do this wiring and apply a finish, any help and advise, no matter how frank, is much appreciated as i am a complete noob to this.

Thanks!

Thanks KiOgon! Actually not as much head-scratching as you'd think because it's essentially a copy-and-paste job, and then i just drew it out neatly on a new schematic. It's a fun project really (if possibly a bit too expensive for the missus), If it doesn't work, then well I have learned something. Some people reckon 3 pickups on a bass is a waste of time, but Stu Hamm and Billy sheehan use similar setups (albeit with totally different wiring), so I live in hope. :)

Looks a monster setup. A 250k will do although I think 500k is more normal for humbuckers, especially powerful ones stuck right at the neck end. A 250 should work though. So far as losing treble, plenty of guitars and basses have 4 or more pots so I can't see it being a problem, especially considering how dark the quarter pounder and Model 1 are - you won't have that much treble in the first place! I'm looking for a Fender Tele pickup to complement my PJ setup and will probably wire it the same way. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bass, maybe you could post some sound samples once it's all sorted?

[quote name='henry norton' post='1261041' date='Jun 8 2011, 12:07 PM']Looks a monster setup. A 250k will do although I think 500k is more normal for humbuckers, especially powerful ones stuck right at the neck end. A 250 should work though. So far as losing treble, plenty of guitars and basses have 4 or more pots so I can't see it being a problem, especially considering how dark the quarter pounder and Model 1 are - you won't have that much treble in the first place! I'm looking for a Fender Tele pickup to complement my PJ setup and will probably wire it the same way. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bass, maybe you could post some sound samples once it's all sorted?[/quote]

Sure, I'll be more than glad to, I was going to post some pics when it's done anyway, probably be a couple of weeks as I couldn't find a 250k/250k concentric pot anywhere, so had to backorder one from Allparts. I went and ordered a 250k pot for the Model one volume, but I was wondering if it needed a 500k to brighten it up. I guess I'll have to wait and see what it sounds like when I do it, can always swap it out for a 500.

I'll PM you when I post them, would you like me to post my original "donor" wiring diagrams?

Edited by Max Normal

[quote name='Max Normal' post='1261061' date='Jun 8 2011, 01:20 PM']Sure, I'll be more than glad to, I was going to post some pics when it's done anyway, probably be a couple of weeks as I couldn't find a 250k/250k concentric pot anywhere, so had to backorder one from Allparts. I went and ordered a 250k pot for the Model one volume, but I was wondering if it needed a 500k to brighten it up. I guess I'll have to wait and see what it sounds like when I do it, can always swap it out for a 500.

I'll PM you when I post them, would you like me to post my original "donor" wiring diagrams?[/quote]
No worries about the diagrams but I'll definitely be interested in the look and sound of the finished bass Max.