Why become a member? ×

Vintage Brand Musicman Bass Help

Delberthot

I just picked one of these up yesterday for a bargain - even more so when I realised it had a set of LaBella flats fitted

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/vintage-est96-active-bass/7270"]This link is to the active one so you know what I'm on about[/url]

Its one of the older (I think) passive versions but the controls have me confused.

There's no battery so its definitely passive but it has 3 controls. I unscrewed the control plate to reveal a volume and what looks like two tone controls as both pots have caps fitted.

I've had a guess at one being the tone and the other being a blend between using both coils of the humbucker and using just one but I'm probably wrong.

Any ideas and any idea of the model number? I'm guessing EST 96 as the active one is the EST 96a

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1261907' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:32 PM']if you fancied theres a layout on the net to build a preamp inspired by the early musicman 2 band jobbies.[/quote]

Whereabouts?

I already have a Bartolini active harness with stacked bass and treble but quite fancy this. There is no battery rout so the game might be a bogey if I can;t get the battery into the existing spacce

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1262026' date='Jun 8 2011, 10:38 PM']Whereabouts?

I already have a Bartolini active harness with stacked bass and treble but quite fancy this. There is no battery rout so the game might be a bogey if I can;t get the battery into the existing spacce[/quote]

The Bass Doc routed a battery space in my BB415, so can be done.

I had a Passive OLP with 2 tone controls - one did one bit of the bass spectrum and the other did err.... another bit.

G.

I had one of these passive EST 96's with the double jazz pickup. Think i paid £14 for it on Ebay as a non runner and used it as sort of a first project to practice soldering and stuff on. Ended up replacing all the electrical bits and fitted a wilkinson soapbar type humbucking pickup. If i remember correctly it was a single volume and two tone controls. Do you have any pics of yours?