Why become a member? ×

Can I put a horn/tweeter in my Marshall JCM800 Bass Series cabinets

Simple really...

In the last couple of weeks, I've run my bass head through a couple of cabinets that have a crossover and hf horn fitted to them and even though I love the tone my Marshall's give me, there's just that little bit of high end that they haven't got compared to the 2 cabs with the crossovers and horns in them (one of them was an Orange OBC410 and the other was something I've forgotten haha) so I wondered if it would be easy to fit a horn and crossover to my cabinets or not but also whether it would be expensive or not.

As said, I'm running a 4x12 and a 2x15 but I don't want to change to 4x10's or 2x10's etc, I want to keep with the cabinets I have as I love them so much and they took me ages to find but I don't mind adding a horn and crossover to them to improve the tone. The 4x12 is running 4 Celestion pre-rola G12-65 speakers and the 2x15 is running 2 Celestion pre-rola 15" speakers (i believe they're called sidewinders or something) in it. They give out a really nice, rich tone but as mentioned, I just want to add that bit of top end clarity that the horn would add.

Let me know your thoughts. Cheers guys

Stevie

Yes it is very simple. You have two options .....

Piezo horns do not need a cross over, you could buy one and simply wire it off the input jacks. If it is to loud wire in a resistor to lower the volume.
The way is buy a higher quality horn, fane make a nice one, and use a simple cross over. There are many free cross over software programs on the net to work out the right components.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1317890' date='Jul 27 2011, 02:16 AM']Hi there dude

how would I wire it in like this?[/quote]
Two wires from your input into the crossover and from there into your horn. The crossover is in parallel with your main drivers.

I [i]think[/i] this one would be ok:
[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIPXB2-1K6&browsemode=manufacturer"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMI...de=manufacturer[/url]

if not there's a page of them:

[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?manufacturer=Eminence&masthead=Passive_Crossovers&subheadnew=2_Way_Crossovers"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?manufa..._Way_Crossovers[/url]

Edited by bartelby

You don't really need a 2-way crossover, although if you're prepared to pay for one it won't do any harm - it will just make the wiring more complicated. Most cabs don't use anything on the bass drivers; they just filter the low frequencies out of the horn. A capacitor and small inductor will do it, but you need to know the recommended crossover frequency and impedance of the horn to work out the correct values.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1319696' date='Jul 28 2011, 08:07 PM']Im so lost right now. It's probably best if I just go for a crossover as it seems the easier option.

If anyone has an Orange 410OBC and knows how they are wired/what components are in them, it would be a great help as I loved the tone I got from one of those[/quote]

IMO you would be better off changing to cabs with tweeters. The marshalls are designed to sound good without them so personally I dont favour the odds of you being able to hack them about, add tweeters and come away with something sounding better than you started with. I think there are actually marshall cabs with tweeters once upon a time - the DBS range, quite hard to come by these days though.

[quote name='stevie' post='1328788' date='Aug 5 2011, 02:53 PM']As long as you use a crossover in front of the bright box of tweeter, the impedance shouldn't be a problem.[/quote]

So it'd be fine to have these signal paths?
Fig 1 amp with 2 speaker outs
Fig 2 amp with 1 speaker out

[attachment=86361:Picture_2.png]

As long as you realize the LF section of the crossover is seeing a different impedance in each diagram. In figure 1 it's seeing 8 ohms and in figure 2 it's seeing 4 ohms. The simple solution is just to use a crossover on the brightbox and to let the bass end roll off naturally. I assume that's what Trace Elliot did, although I've not seen their x-over circuit for the Bright Box.