Why become a member? ×

Wal Mk 2 in American Walnut * SOLD PENDING *

Clarky

Quick turnaround I know but I have not completely gelled with this bass and its too pricey to not be totally in love with. I am in all honesty very surprised as its utterly beautiful to look at and as I absolutely adore my fretless Wal (together with my '63P, the fretless is a definite keeper) but for a fretted bass I'm afraid I have decided I prefer a good old passive Fender. Maybe I've fallen for Bilbo's argument that Wals should not have frets :)

The bass is a 2004 Pete Stevens-made Mk 2 with Mk 3 smaller headstock and flush neck joint (ie, a Mk 2/3 hybrid) and with what is described as a "Jazz" profile neck (note that, although it may have a J width nut, the neck is still a good handful, more like a Precision). The facings are almost blemish-free American Walnut and the fretboard is a rich dark ebony. I have had the neck worked on by The Bass Gallery (fret stoning and brass nut lowered slightly) so that it plays perfectly. Comes with a Hiscox case (there was no tool kit).

I paid £2,500 for the bass and £60-odd extra for the setup at The Gallery. I think that is a fair price for a Wal in this wonderful condition and would like to get £2,500 back. Would prefer to hand over in person but will post at cost.

PICTURES REMOVED NOW THAT SALE IS PENDING< IN ORDER TO HELP CONSERVE BASSCHAT MEMORY SPACE!

Note: fretless is very definitely NOT for sale!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1269367' date='Jun 14 2011, 10:36 PM']PS, not looking for any trades here unless it involves an Ampeg Baby Bass (Keith!)[/quote]

:)

I thought you just sold this one?

I like the look of it, but you just sold me a fretless which has inspired me to play lots of out of tune, inappropriate licks at the annoyance of other band members :)

And I've got the Ampeg sounding as good as my best upright acoustic (amplified), secret ingredient!

Have you tried Dave Swift? He had two or three Ampegs and one of them might have been for sale.

Good luck with the sale of the Wal, I bet it's a real nice instrument!

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1269520' date='Jun 15 2011, 12:54 AM']I thought you just sold this one?[/quote]
Hi Keith! I only picked up this bass a few weeks ago as I was so impressed with my fretless. But soon discovered that a Fender shape and control system are what I am most comfortable with as far as a fretted bass goes. TBH I would prefer cash, much as I would like a Baby Bass!

Edited by Clarky

Not heard back from the interested party (albeit he is overseas) so this lovely bass is still up for grabs as far as I am concerned - although hopefully the overseas guy will come back to me

Edited by Clarky