Why become a member? ×

Does anyone own a Westone Thunder Jet bass?

Paul S

If so are you able to weight it reasonably accurately?

I used to own a Thunder Jet and a Thunder 1A. I sold on the Thunder Jet a while back as I preferred the active sound of the Thunder 1A and they were otherwise too similar to keep both. But one significant difference is that the Thunder Jet was lighter - made of alder, I am told, rather than maple. At the time it wasn't an issue. Now because of back problems I have had to sell the Thunder 1A but am already missing the idea of owning a Westone bass. And so, of course, I am now regretting selling the Thunder Jet - it may be that it is light enough to be comfortable.

Same might apply to a Spectrum and Pantera basses, which are maple (I believe) but more carved than the slabby Thunders.

ta.

Edited by Paul S

Yeah, I think most of the Westones are solid maple - my Thunder 1A was extremely heavy which is why I sold it. But the Thunder Jet and Concord were Alder. One or two later models were ash. Something like that. Not keen on the Concord shape, tbh, but am still a fan of the Thunder shape and the whole Westone thing, really. I am on the trail of my old Thunder Jet to see if the current owner a/ would kindly weigh it for me and, if light enough, b/ sell it back to me. Except I hadn't mentioned that bit to him yet :)

I quite like the shape of the Pantera, which is why I mention it, and the body is a good deal smaller than the Thunder and also carved, so I would guess lighter in weight.

But added onto the list now and possibly even ahead on points - a Pantera Deluxe X790. Sounds like my perfect Westone - active AND black - *if* it is light enough. Does anyone on here have one they could weigh?

• 9 months later...

A little, maybe, tontdoch - I bought one and answered my own question. And, yes, the Thunder Jet is nice and lightweight at around 8lbs. Pantera is around 9.5lbs, I discovered.

3 kilos is very light, though! What are the Dano longscale like?