Why become a member? ×

Recording bass into Garageband on a Mac

Gunsfreddy2003

Hi,

I am recording bass into Garageband using an M-Audio Fast track interface. When I record I can hear the bass in both ears of my headphones but when I listen to it in playback it is only coming out of one ear almost like it is in mono.

What am I doing wrong - do I need to select stereo from a menu somewhere?

Also the bass sounds like it is clipping or distorting - any ideas why?

It sounds like an issue with your interface. Your interface might think it's only getting one channel (either Left or Right) & sending just that side. Can you switch it to mono? If not, then on your track you're recording to then select Input Source & chose something mono.
I record my bass in mono.

That seems to have worked - I had the input set as stereo!

Many thanks.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1273856' date='Jun 18 2011, 03:44 PM']It sounds like an issue with your interface. Your interface might think it's only getting one channel (either Left or Right) & sending just that side. Can you switch it to mono? If not, then on your track you're recording to then select Input Source & chose something mono.
I record my bass in mono.[/quote]

Not sure about that!!

At the moment I am just trying to hear the subtle differences between the Sadowsky and Aguilar pre-amps to see which sounds best - a bit dull sounding really!!!!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1275638' date='Jun 20 2011, 10:32 AM']:) Glad to have helped.

Now you need to post your recordings when they're done :)[/quote]

That could be GB. I like using GB for it's simplicity & quickness, but you'll get a much better recording using something like Reaper, which you can download & use unrestricted without having to pay for it & if you use it a lot then it's something like $99. I don't do much home recording (due to lack of time from being on BC :) ), but if I did, I'd happily pay for Reaper.

Never heard of Reaper but will check it out - looks good.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1275658' date='Jun 20 2011, 10:46 AM']That could be GB. I like using GB for it's simplicity & quickness, but you'll get a much better recording using something like Reaper, which you can download & use unrestricted without having to pay for it & if you use it a lot then it's something like $99. I don't do much home recording (due to lack of time from being on BC :) ), but if I did, I'd happily pay for Reaper.[/quote]