Why become a member? ×

Any good chord notation softs out there?

fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='1274124' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:00 PM']All i want to do is make up chord charts with time and key sig, and lyrics. [b]I've got Finale[/b] but it's all too roundabout.

Last looked for such a thing a coupla years ago and nothing.

Any new app out there that might be good for this?[/quote]

To be honest if you have Finale, go with that, dead easy to do what you want.
For your purpose you would just use add lyric or just Text input for the Lyrics, and just click add chord and use the one[s] you want.
Key sig and time sig you just add when you open up a new document.

[attachment=83022:LYRIC_SHEETS.pdf]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1274175' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:59 PM']To be honest if you have Finale, go with that, dead easy to do what you want.
For your purpose you would just use add lyric or just Text input for the Lyrics, and just click add chord and use the one[s] you want.
Key sig and time sig you just add when you open up a new document.

[attachment=83022:LYRIC_SHEETS.pdf]

Garry[/quote]

Thanks Garry, I'll revisit Finale and give it a shot. I was probably setting about the wrong way. :)

I just - [i]just[/i] - finished my first ever transcription using MuseScore. Went quite well. I don't know how it would be for chord charts (I'm not entirely sure what a chord chart even looks like), but I do agree that there's nothing particularly gay about it, although if you really study the logo you can probably find something!

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1276671' date='Jun 21 2011, 09:14 AM']Just did this last night on MuseScore...

I am no expert by any stretch.[/quote]

Thing is, I've no need to write the notes at all. What i need to do is write the chord symbols in the bars rather than on top.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='1277474' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:39 PM']Thing is, I've no need to write the notes at all. What i need to do is write the chord symbols in the bars rather than on top.[/quote]

Go to youtube, i think there might be some vids on Finale, could be of use to you. [Depending on what version you have]
You might be right about Finale being a bit flaky for your needs [on the older versions]
But on Finale 2010 & 2011 no such problems. In Finale you can place Chords & Lyrics where ever you please. [As with Sibelius as well]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1277494' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:56 PM']Go to youtube, i think there might be some vids on Finale, could be of use to you. [Depending on what version you have]
You might be right about Finale being a bit flaky for your needs [on the older versions]
But on Finale 2010 & 2011 no such problems. In Finale you can place Chords & Lyrics where ever you please. [As with Sibelius as well]

Garry[/quote]

Great, thanks. I've got 2008. I'll check the later ones out.

You'd think there'd be a simple and cheap app for this wouldn't you, seeing as more or less every band on the planet knocks off chord charts regularly.

Over £100 for a Finale upgrade to 2011. Cripes. :)