Why become a member? ×

Learning Structure.

gazzer86

Hi all.

I am very much a newbie bass player. I've been playing for a couple of months now and have learnt about 7 or 8 simple songs. I have to date been teaching myself, with reasonable success. Can you more experienced players advise me of any particular learning structure that I could adopt in order that I can progress and fully understand what I am playing. Any recommended books, DVDs or courses? Or should I get a few or regular lessons from a teacher. Ideally, I would like to be in a position where I could play reasonably competently within say 12 months so I could play with other musicians.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

[quote name='gazzer86' post='1274535' date='Jun 19 2011, 11:11 AM']Hi all.

I am very much a newbie bass player. I've been playing for a couple of months now and have learnt about 7 or 8 simple songs. I have to date been teaching myself, with reasonable success. Can you more experienced players advise me of any particular learning structure that I could adopt in order that I can progress and fully understand what I am playing. Any recommended books, DVDs or courses? Or should I get a few or regular lessons from a teacher. Ideally, I would like to be in a position where I could play reasonably competently within say 12 months so I could play with other musicians.

Thanks for your help.

Gary[/quote]

Any advice anyone? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

It is always difficult to offer a learning plan if you don't know the player. Mine would be different to yours because our learning goals would probably be very different. If you really want a steer, I would recommend a teacher. If you tell us where you are, we can probably recommend someone off here.

In the meantime, learn to read music :)

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1275743' date='Jun 20 2011, 11:46 AM']Sorry Bilbo, I didn't quite catch that... could you say again for the avoidance of doubt?[/quote]

[font="Century Gothic"] [size=7]LEARN TO READ MUSIC!![/size] [/font]

[quote name='gazzer86' post='1275708' date='Jun 20 2011, 11:26 AM']Any advice anyone? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary[/quote]

First off, learn your notes on the bass... if someone says it's a D, a G then A and counts the song off at 150 bpm you don't want to be looking at your bass wondering where to find them. Also if you don't know the note names it'll slow your progress with any music theory to a crawl.

Also, learn your major scale, minor scale and mixolydian mode (for dominant chords) as well as major and minor pentatonics, plus arpeggios. Learn to play them all over the neck, like this:

[url="http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-021-MajFivePos.php"]http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-021-MajFivePos.php[/url] (but apply it to bass), should keep you busy for a while!

I would recommend getting a teacher as soon as possible so you don't pick up any nasty habits.

And get stuck in with a band, you might find yourself floundering around a bit every now and then but you'll make much quicker progress that way.

Good luck!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1275730' date='Jun 20 2011, 11:36 AM']It is always difficult to offer a learning plan if you don't know the player. Mine would be different to yours because our learning goals would probably be very different.[/quote]
Preferred learning styles would also probably be different too.

Well thanks that is very helpful, much appreciated. There seems to be a general consensus to get a teacher. I live in Eastbourne on the South Coast (yeah I know, it's where the old people live) so any recommendations on a teacher in this area would be greatly received.

Eastbourne has a thriving music scene (believe it or not) and I would like to get in a band in the future but for now I guess it's practice practice practice.

I will check out that web link Rich and take on board what you advised, thanks for that and Bilbo I will have a crack at learning to read music. Mind you I seem to be becoming a bass junkie. It's brought a whole new dimension to life. I can't wait to get home from work and play and when I'm not playing I'm reading up on it, it's just getting a steer in the right direction before I go off on a tangent, hence my question. Its becoming an obsession mind you, I take it this is normal!!!?

Anyway thanks again for the advice fellas.

Gary