Why become a member? ×

The things you have to do to get a gig

northstreet

My band Random Patrols has been down to play The Fiddler's Elbow in Camden, North London, this Thursday (23rd) for several weeks. Got a text today saying it's been cancelled as the other bands have pulled out. Which is disappointing in itself, but really difficult as we've encouraged lots of people to come and watch us, many of whom we can't contact to let them know.

Anyway, after some negotiation, the gig's back on with just two bands. But to do that we've had to guarantee to cover the cost of the sound and door people if not enough people come along. Not ideal by any means but we'll put it down to experience and hopefully get some useful promotion. So if you're passing...........

[quote name='northstreet' post='1279200' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:06 PM']Sound check's 7.30. See you there.[/quote]

Steve was due to phone me today but hasn't. Don't know if I'll be up for it, I injured my back on monday and have been stuck on the settee ever since. I had some physio last night which has helped but unless it improves a fair bit overnight it's not likely. Certainly won't be able to lift my rig, is there likely to be a rig there that I could use? I have a di pedal so could go via p.a if that;s feasable.

[quote name='northstreet' post='1277706' date='Jun 21 2011, 08:43 PM']Anyway, after some negotiation, the gig's back on with just two bands. But to do that we've had to guarantee to cover the cost of the sound and door people if not enough people come along.[/quote]

f*** that!

If they are hiring a sound man and a door man it's the venues responsibility to pay them,not
yours.

[quote name='northstreet' post='1279200' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:06 PM']Sound check's 7.30. See you there.[/quote]

Sorry North Street, looks like you will be playing in both bands. I'm having yet another sofa and hot water bottle day.

Typical really, I've not had a gig for what seems like ages, then two come up this weekend and I can't do them. :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1279549' date='Jun 23 2011, 12:35 PM']f*** that!

If they are hiring a sound man and a door man it's the venues responsibility to pay them,not
yours.[/quote]

Normally I'd agree but we're keeping all the door money - so we're effectively promoting the gig ourselves. Should turn a profit with a bit of luck.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1279684' date='Jun 23 2011, 02:58 PM']Sorry North Street, looks like you will be playing in both bands. I'm having yet another sofa and hot water bottle day.

Typical really, I've not had a gig for what seems like ages, then two come up this weekend and I can't do them. :)[/quote]

Sorry to hear that. Better start learning the songs - might be few bum notes tonight!

Turned out to be a really good gig. Venue is small but can't fault it otherwise, good soundman and Dan the owner/promoter seems decent enough. As I've said we ended up effectively promoting the gig ourselves and actually turned a small profit. Admittedly ours was a slightly unusual set of circumstances, but I'd be happy to recommend the venue to any band looking for a gig.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1281423' date='Jun 24 2011, 07:49 PM']Glad it was a good 'un and you turned a profit.

How did it go being my substitute?[/quote]

You'd best ask the others that question! Couple of missed changes but nothing too obvious. Some good songs, too.