Why become a member? ×

Buying gear online - Anyone been ripped off and had to open a Paypal dispute or get a refund?

Tradfusion

I recently bought a cab on another well known bass players forum from someone who had glowing previous feedback and appeared to be 100% to deal with. Unfortunately since the day he was paid using my credit card and Paypal, he hasnt answered a single email or pm from me enquiring about whats happening with my cab. I can see from looking at his activity on the forum that he has been on there almost daily but has not submitted a single post since I started questioning him...and this guy was posting very regularly on threads all over the forum. I feel like I've been duped and its looking more obvious that I have by the day. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what can I do about getting my money back from either Paypal or my credit card? :)

I had to use the dispute option with a supplier in America. I needed some parts for my Richenbacker, contacted them by email about parts before ordering, then placed my order with payment. 2 weeks later get an email saying they don't deliver outside the USA but I can use an address they supplied in America to get the goods sent to, then pay for them to ship to me. Sounded very very odd to me. Asked for a refund, 2 weeks went by nothing, sent more emails nothing. Put it into dispute with paypal got refund in 2 days.

Don't mess around, if people take your money they should supply the goods or return the money. I would put this in dispute now, and let Paypal help you get your money back.

BIGd

Keep a copy of all communications you have made so far. It's easy to open a Paypal dispute, but once you do make sure all communication is done through their dispute console, i.e. - don't do any more direct e-mails / phone calls or PM's. If the other person fails to reply through the console after x days, and you show that you have made all reasonable efforts to resolve the dispute, then they should find in your favour and take the money back from the sellers paypal account.

Hamster

Paypal are still "pursuing" a seller I bought a PC off for £70. After trying and failing to make good on a poor description, he gave up, did a runner and emptied his paypal account. Because he hadn't registered a credit card with them I was left out of pocket. No protection on THAT deal.

i had a problem buying an ipod off ebay and paid using paypal.

it was £230 IIRC, and after a week, nothing. had no trouble with paypal [b]BUT[/b] they only offer protection up to £150 (again IIRC), and so that was all that they could refund me. luckily the credit card was insured as well, so also got a £230 refund from the bank (think about this :) )

so in my experience it was no hassle sorting things out with paypal, but if you gave more than £150 you might be left a little short changed