Why become a member? ×

Original Pink Paisley/Blue Flower Tele's

Rick's Fine '52

After much deliberation, negotiation, and waiting, i finally collected my latest addition to the Arsenal.

1968 Pink Paisley, and 1968 Blue Flower Telecaster Basses.

These were purchased new, on the same day, by the previous owner. Apparently, he played them for a year, then, when they became unfashionable, they were retired, in their cases, and under the bed.

They are the best examples of these i have seen. The Paisley has no lacquer cracks at all, the Blue Flower one does, but all the paper is intact, most flowers have half the wallpaper missing.

Not everyones cup of tea granted, but they play great, sound fantastic, and from a Fender Bass collectors perspective, they are both in the 'Golden 10'.

Thats it for a while now, unless i sell both my kidneys!!

Here's a couple of pics.

[attachment=83266:IMG_4128.jpg]

[attachment=83267:IMG_4127.jpg]

[quote name='Stag' post='1278801' date='Jun 22 2011, 05:54 PM']Cool! You do pick up some mega collectible basses - how do you do it??[/quote]

Keen eye, and lots of deep digging and searching. Theres some good stuff out there (Almost all of which is in the US though!). Knowing specifically what you want helps, and try not to get distracted by other goodies. I have a list of stuff i want, which is proving rather expensive, better than money in banks though, and alot more fun!!

Thanks for the comment.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1278818' date='Jun 22 2011, 06:05 PM']They look very happy together :)

Uber kool :)[/quote]

Thanks, to be honest, i couldnt really stretch to both, and originally wanted the paisley, but as they were bought together on the same day, i felt the need to keep them together. Obviously the blue flower is the rarer one, and I wanted one....... eventually, i knew i'd regret not taking the opportunity of getting the pair. I'm very glad i did though, they are just amazing in the flesh, never seen better examples.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1278932' date='Jun 22 2011, 07:35 PM']What a spectacularly excellent find.

Hope I do as well when my Vintage P bass search reaches a conclusion.

So will you gig them or are they to be admired and kept safe and sound indoors?[/quote]

Sadly, these are too valuable to take on the road, but they'll get plenty of play-time in mi casa.

What vintage P are you after?, PM me, i may be able to help you find what you're looking for?

Thanks for the comments.

[quote name='bartelby' post='1279192' date='Jun 22 2011, 10:59 PM']I love the pink paisley one...

Actually I love both of them![/quote]

Thanks, thats how i was with it, i was enquiring as to the Paisley, without knowing at that point, they also had the blue flower, as they'd just got them in, as soon as i saw the pics, and heard the story, i just had to have them both.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1279513' date='Jun 23 2011, 12:10 PM']Just beautiful Rick and what a collection you've got!
Do you have any picture links you could show with some more of your collection?

Cheers,
Jon[/quote]

Thanks Jon, i have detailed pictures of all my basses, but sadly, I'm not very I.T. friendly, if there is a simple way of uploading pictures, then i could certainly put them all on???. In the meantime, if there is a particular instrument/pic you'd like to see, let me know, and i can get one posted on here.

I'm aware of things like Image Shack etc, but not sure exactly how they work? Although I'm sure its fairly simple. Is there an Image Host Site that you would recommend??

Appreciate the comments.

Hi Rick,
I use [url="http://photobucket.com/"]http://photobucket.com/[/url]
It's free and all you have to do is create an account and then upload photos from your computer onto your account.
You can then copy and paste the website link address onto here and a nice large photo will appear in your post. E.g.:

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1279675' date='Jun 23 2011, 02:45 PM']Hi Rick,
I use [url="http://photobucket.com/"]http://photobucket.com/[/url]
It's free and all you have to do is create an account and then upload photos from your computer onto your account.
You can then copy and paste the website link address onto here and a nice large photo will appear in your post. E.g.:
[/quote]

Thanks, sounds too easy to be true!!!

I'll have a gander later, and see what i can do.

Do the images stay there indefinitely, or do they time-lapse?

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1279804' date='Jun 23 2011, 04:50 PM']Thanks, sounds too easy to be true!!!

I'll have a gander later, and see what i can do.

Do the images stay there indefinitely, or do they time-lapse?[/quote]

It really is that easy!
I believe as long as you log in and use it every now and again that the images stay there.

A very handsome couple - congratulations!! Quirky but yet strangely attractive. I love these stories about something being kept under a bed/in a cupboard - I always think/hope I might benefit from something like that - at a good price though! Great post.