Why become a member? ×

Diagram for a speakon series box

Delberthot

OK guys and gals. I know that this has been asked before but I'll be damned if I can find the thread about it.

Something like two 4 ohm speakers run in parallel will give a total load of 8ohms I think.

How would I then go about connecting 2 4ohm cabs to my amp so that the total load is 8ohms - special lead, box of tricks, work of the devil?

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1280156' date='Jun 23 2011, 08:55 PM']In parallel it will be 2ohms, in series 8ohms[/quote]

And to wire two cabs together in series you will generally need a bespoke lead or two - things are generally set up to work in parallel.

So for my next question - does anyone have a simple, easy to read diagram so that I can build myself such a box?

I was thinking about a box with 6" of cable coming out of it terminating in a speakon plug to connect to the amp with 2 speakon sockets at the other end

I have seen them but they're expensive and I want cheap. :)

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1281885' date='Jun 25 2011, 09:50 AM']So for my next question - does anyone have a simple, easy to read diagram so that I can build myself such a box?

I was thinking about a box with 6" of cable coming out of it terminating in a speakon plug to connect to the amp with 2 speakon sockets at the other end

I have seen them but they're expensive and I want cheap. :)[/quote]

That should be a doddle to build. Unfortunately I've not wired a speakon connector, so I can't advise how to wire these up. To be honest, rather than having an integral cable, I'd probably build the box with three connectors - one to amp, and two to speakers.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1283255' date='Jun 26 2011, 07:21 PM']Al Healey was kind enough to PM me a link to this diagram

I've never wired a speakon before so don't know how this would translate to that from 1.4" jacks[/quote]

Standard speakons just have a sleeve and tip the same as a jack so the only difference is the picture!

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1283255' date='Jun 26 2011, 07:21 PM']Al Healey was kind enough to PM me a link to this diagram

I've never wired a speakon before so don't know how this would translate to that from 1.4" jacks[/quote]

Amp Output (1+) to Speaker #1 (1+)

Speaker #1 (1-) to Speaker #2 (1+)

Speaker #2 (1-) to Amp Output (1-)