Why become a member? ×

avon short scale bass

bassmart

Hi I just get a old Avon rose morris short scale. Which is a copy of a Gibson .its a good little bass but it sound is not good and I think its a bit weak sounding. So anyone knows were I can get a new pick up for it and what are the best strings to on please let me know. Thanks

[quote name='bassmart' post='1283044' date='Jun 26 2011, 03:29 PM']Hi I just get a old Avon rose morris short scale. Which is a copy of a Gibson .its a good little bass but it sound is not good and I think its a bit weak sounding. So anyone knows were I can get a new pick up for it and what are the best strings to on please let me know. Thanks[/quote]
They're a nice bass, had one myself, knew someone who has one. Are you talking the EB0 or the EB3 copy? If it's the EB0 then some may say get a DiMarzio Model I which many like but I had one on an actual Gibson EB3 & it was nowhere near the Gibson sound. But you can coil split them so you'll get more range - just not a Gibson one.

IF it was me I'd be saving & buying a vinatge Gibson one, that way you can keep it if you move the bass on or upgrade. Though I know many in the USA who swear by the Dark Star.

Both the vids are for you to see what they look like - sound off yours won't be the same. Both of them should be a retro fit - not much work needed - but CHECK! Some copies look like they have a Gibson size pup in but many are more square than a Gibson so you'd have a gap top or bottom of the cavity.