Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot cabinet output into compressor then to power amp... Will this blow my compressor up?

StevieD_FenderP2009

'Ey up fellas (and lasses just so I'm not bein' sexist!)

I've just started setting up my new rack rig but I'm in a bit of a pickle about the way to set it all up.
To put it in Lehman's terms, I'm using a Trace Elliot AH250SMX head and a Behringer T1952 valve compressor/limiter thingy but I have a couple of issues and technical questions. Firstly, I'll explain how I want to set it up...

I want to be running my rig as follows:

Wireless kit --> Aphex Aural Exciter --> Trace Elliot AH250SMX --> Behringer T1952 Compressor/limiter --> C-Audio SR-707 Power Amplifier.

Problem is, I'm really worried that because my Trace Elliot is a powered head (as in it's got the power stage in it and doesn't need to be run through a power amp) it would blow up my compressor if I was to run the Trace Elliot from the speaker outputs into the compressor its self.
My reasons for wanting to do this are as follows...

A: I want it to compress the post amp tone instead of just the tone coming from the bass guitar
B: There's an annoying hissing noise coming from my amp when I'm not playing which is apparently due to the fact I have the treble up so high so I'd like the "gate" option on the Behringer to cut that out when I'm not playing
C: It would then be run into a seperate power amp to power my cabinets

On the back of the Trace Elliot, there's the 2 cabinet outputs, a post-EQ DI auxiliary output (which I don't know if I could use to send the signal to the compressor or not) and an effects send (which i'm guessing is no help to me what so ever). Obviously there's a foot switch in-put but I'm not stupid enough to think I can use that as an out put haha. I also use this to control the EQ and Pre-shaping for when it gets to softer parts of songs I play.

If you could help me here, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers folks

Stevie

i'd say the di is your best bet. running a power stage directly into a compressor and then into another power amp sounds like a recipe for disaster for all 3 parties. if you get a male xlr - jack lead then you should be able to feed the di into the compressor and power amp just fine. not sure on if the effects return is post or pre-eq but if its a post, then you could probably use that too.

Cheers dude, that's exactly what I was thinking. I need to get hold of a couple of new cables soon anyways so it'll give me an excuse to go and get a load made again. I'll probably use XLR's (that's what I was meant to say in the first post, not auxiliaries) to run from the head to the comp then from the comp to the power amplifier just so it's a steady connection.
If I have any mic leads around at all, i'll give it a go when I get in from work tomorrow (apart from the power amp bit, haven't got my power amp yet as it's on order)

Hi Stevie,as Colledge suggested I would use the fx loop, which is basically the same as an insert point on a desk.Which is where dynamic processors like compressors and gates are inserted into the signal path.
So long as the loop is post eq on the amp, you`ll be compressing the tone as you wish.
Then just send the power amp a signal from your line out.
MM

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1285968' date='Jun 29 2011, 01:17 AM']So long as the loop is post eq on the amp, you`ll be compressing the tone as you wish.[/quote]
I don't really know TE amps, but if this one is similar to other AH series amps then I think the effects send will be pre-eq -- probably better to use the DI in 'post' mode here.

I don't know where the hissing is coming from, thats the thing. Well, I say that, I know it's the amp because when I turn the volume off it goes away. Apparently it's because I have my bass and treble up high but my mids scooped out. I don't know. I just like the tone I get when I'm playing. It could even be my wireless kit. AKG bug kits are absolutely terrible

Hmmmm, try this.

Set up your amp as normal at stage levels.

Switch the amp eq in and out.

Does the hiss disappear, or is it just less obvious.

You see it could be the eq circuit, it could be hiss from earlier in the signal chain and the eq is just making it louder.

It could be the preamp gain stage, have you ever recorded your bass DI'ed directly and if so did you get a lot of hiss.

If its the eq you could use an external cleaner eq and not use the amp eq

I would suggest in any case you compress before the eq. The eq'ed signal will drive the compressor very differently from the un-eq'ed signal, not necessarily worse, but IME a lot of mid suckage on an eq before a compressor tends to makes the compressor react less well.