Why become a member? ×

volume reduction on my Wal Mk1

TheGreek

I'm having a problem with volume reduction on my Wal Mk1..

The volume on the "A" string intermittently cuts out/reduces. I've had the back off and had a fiddle (don't know what I'm doing) and it goes away only to return a few minutes later..I've recently changed the battery so I'm confident it's not this though the last battery lasted less than 3 weeks. Anybody had a similar problem??

If so, how did you cure it?? Where did you have the work done and was it expensive??

I've contacted Paul Herman at Wal but I suspect he's very busy and TBH I'd prefer not to be without the bass for too long.

I'd appreciate any help..

many thanks..

From memory...the pickups join the circuit boards with a multi-pin plug - a push on plastic block. Gently, see if you can unplug/push it back on. Could be something loose or slightly dirty. Also, gently tap the pickup to see if the A string comes back. The pickups have quite a few separate coils inside (and joins) so it could be internal to the pickup, but still only affect one string.

Nothing that can't be sorted....even if it means a trip to Paul Herman.

Problem is now sorted thanks to my local luthier, [b]Terry Chapman - [email protected] [/b]- (top fella) - turns out the jack socket was loose, it wiggled (sorry to get technical) and was touching something which caused it to earth. Terry removed the socket and insulated the chamber before replacing the socket..good as new (if not better)..and for No charge!!

For those in Herts needing work done - I thoroughly recommend him for the work he did on this and several of my other basses...