Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller Jazz Neck Plates

Johngh

I've just bought a Marcus Miller Jazz body and I'm putting a Status Graphite neck on it.

The body came with no neck plate or screws. I know it's 3 bolt neck, but the ones I've seen for sale all say tilt on the description.
Is it just a case of screwing the new neck on with the new plate or is there something I'm missing. Excuse the numptyness of the question but I've never removed or changed the necks on my basses before.

Thanks

[quote name='Johngh' post='1287668' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:26 PM']I've just bought a Marcus Miller Jazz body and I'm putting a Status Graphite neck on it.

The body came with no neck plate or screws. I know it's 3 bolt neck, but the ones I've seen for sale all say tilt on the description.
Is it just a case of screwing the new neck on with the new plate or is there something I'm missing. Excuse the numptyness of the question but I've never removed or changed the necks on my basses before.

Thanks[/quote]

Look up 'micro tilt adjustment' if you want to know about this - basically an alternative for neck shimming. But unless the neck is not angled properly when you make the attachment, then it's not something to worry about, just screw it on.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1290443' date='Jul 2 2011, 08:06 PM']Look up 'micro tilt adjustment' if you want to know about this - basically an alternative for neck shimming. But unless the neck is not angled properly when you make the attachment, then it's not something to worry about, just screw it on.[/quote]

Thanks for this. Having given it some thought, and as the replacement graphite neck ain't cheap, I'm maybe going to take the whole thing over to Jon Shuker and ask him to do it, he's not far away from where I live.
Be major embarassment, and expensive if I do it and cock it up.

[quote name='Johngh' post='1290726' date='Jul 3 2011, 07:00 AM']Thanks for this. Having given it some thought, and as the replacement graphite neck ain't cheap, I'm maybe going to take the whole thing over to Jon Shuker and ask him to do it, he's not far away from where I live.
Be major embarassment, and expensive if I do it and cock it up.[/quote]

If the holes are already there in the neck, and in the right place, and you've got the right screws, then it will be a doddle and I honestly cant' see how you could mess it up even if trying. However, if you have to drill your own holes or you're not sure about the screw size then definitely take it over to Shuker!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1291659' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:40 PM']If the holes are already there in the neck, and in the right place, and you've got the right screws, then it will be a doddle and I honestly cant' see how you could mess it up even if trying. However, if you have to drill your own holes or you're not sure about the screw size then definitely take it over to Shuker![/quote]

As far as I know the status necks come without screw holes, ans obviously your screwing into graphite, not wood. So off to Shuker it's going to go. :)