Why become a member? ×

replacement speakers

125W would work fine as long as they are 4ohm speakers. Wire them in series to get 8 ohms to your amp.

If you want 4 ohms to your amp get 8 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel.

The watts is not such an issue as long as the total power handling is higher than your amp output you can't go wrong. Your old speakers handle a total of 200W, the ones you have found will handle up to 250W from your amp.

To be honest though the higher the watts the better - Eminence do a speaker called the Legend which takes about 200W on each speaker so the handling of your 2x10 would be 400W - you'll have trouble blowing those unless you have a stupidly powerful amp!

All that is wrong. Watts don't mean anything, and ohms mean not much, the bit that matches drivers to cabs are another set of specifications entirely. Predicting how speakers work in a box without actually trying is quite difficult, but if you throw up the box dimensions (ideally internal, it is the amount of air in the box that is important), and where the box has a port/vent/hole in it and how big that hole is, some people can make some more informed decisions.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1293074' date='Jul 5 2011, 09:16 AM']All that is wrong. Watts don't mean anything, and ohms mean not much, the bit that matches drivers to cabs are another set of specifications entirely. Predicting how speakers work in a box without actually trying is quite difficult, but if you throw up the box dimensions (ideally internal, it is the amount of air in the box that is important), and where the box has a port/vent/hole in it and how big that hole is, some people can make some more informed decisions.[/quote]
I beg to differ. Its not just about matching cabs to drivers... put a 100w 4 ohm speaker into a 200w 8 ohm amp and you will soon see, the power will be too much for the speaker and the amp will be underloaded. result, blown speaker, blown amp.

Having said that, there is more to speaker/cabinet matching than just chucking in any old speaker.

If your cab is an ashdown (don't get me started) then the best replacement would be an ashdown speaker - the cabinet is designed for this. Although in a 2x10" most are quite similar in size. Yes you may need to adjust the port length for the particular speaker to get optimum results but the end result of using a mis-matched cab/speaker combo is purely the frequency response which you can compensate for with EQ to some degree. The result of using a mis-matched amp/speaker combo is you could either underload or overload the amp and speakers and lose both!

I'm not really sure a lesson is cab design is really very helpful right now. Also, loudspeakers are a lot more forgiving than some 'experts' here seem to think -- it is possible to replace a driver without opening WinISD or having a degree in acoustics, you know. :)

Sid, if I were you I would give Ashdown's technical service a call on 01621 856010, they will be able to tell you if indeed it is the drivers, and I'm sure they'd be willing to sell you two exact replacements too, if need be.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried the cab with any other amp, and does it do the same thing (crackling when you turn it up)? I only ask because there is the possibility it is your amp that needs servicing and not your cab, and it would be a shame to replace the drivers if you don't need to.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1293074' date='Jul 5 2011, 09:16 AM']All that is wrong. Watts don't mean anything, and ohms mean not much, the bit that matches drivers to cabs are another set of specifications entirely. Predicting how speakers work in a box without actually trying is quite difficult, but if you throw up the box dimensions (ideally internal, it is the amount of air in the box that is important), and where the box has a port/vent/hole in it and how big that hole is, some people can make some more informed decisions.[/quote]

[quote name='brensabre79' post='1293209' date='Jul 5 2011, 11:36 AM']I beg to differ. Its not just about matching cabs to drivers... put a 100w 4 ohm speaker into a 200w 8 ohm amp and you will soon see, the power will be too much for the speaker and the amp will be underloaded. result, blown speaker, blown amp.

Having said that, there is more to speaker/cabinet matching than just chucking in any old speaker.

If your cab is an ashdown (don't get me started) then the best replacement would be an ashdown speaker - the cabinet is designed for this. Although in a 2x10" most are quite similar in size. Yes you may need to adjust the port length for the particular speaker to get optimum results but the end result of using a mis-matched cab/speaker combo is purely the frequency response which you can compensate for with EQ to some degree. The result of using a mis-matched amp/speaker combo is you could either underload or overload the amp and speakers and lose both![/quote]

Mr Foxen is right and up to a point so is brensabre. A replacement needs to match the amp in watts and impedance but only in the sense that it needs to be able to handle the power. You can use 250W of speakers with a 200W amp or even 1000W of speakers with a 5W amp but not the other way round. Anything with an impedance of 4-16 ohms is fine with a solid state amp though you may lose a little volume/power. If the amp is a valve amp then you need to match the impedance and if you use this cab with another it needs to match that in impedance ideally.

The speaker also needs to match the cab though. If the cab mismatches then you might need more than eq. and you might lose a bit more than just the sound. If the cab is tuned to the wrong frequency then the speaker may effectively be unloaded by the cab and may suffer excessive excursion and an early grave. This is especially true for a ported cab.

Check the amp and everything else first, if it is definitely the speakers then ideally contact Ashdown and replace like with like. They are really helpful and reasonably priced.

If for some reason you decide you want to replace the drivers with something different someone here will help you re-tune the cab, but there is a better than even chance the original speakers will sound nicer.

[quote name='brensabre79' post='1293209' date='Jul 5 2011, 11:36 AM']I beg to differ. Its not just about matching cabs to drivers... put a 100w 4 ohm speaker into a 200w 8 ohm amp and you will soon see, the power will be too much for the speaker and the amp will be underloaded. result, blown speaker, blown amp.[/quote]

The 100w that determines the point where that happens isn't the one the speaker is rated at, and is dependent on the box.

Sid, have a look at these:
[url="http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/celestion-bl10100-8-ohm-bass-guitar-speaker-10-p-554.html"]Celestion BL10[/url]
I`ve used these in a few cabs and I think they are great value for the money.
I think they`ll sound great in the Ashdown cab.
MM

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='1293465' date='Jul 5 2011, 02:50 PM']Mr Foxen is right and up to a point so is brensabre.[/quote] ^This! It's a minefield.
Many years ago I had a Laney 60w prarctise amp. It blew very soon after buying it & I found that the speaker in it (a Laney branded one) was also rated at 60w. I bought one of these [quote name='Monckyman' post='1293661' date='Jul 5 2011, 05:46 PM'][url="http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/celestion-bl10100-8-ohm-bass-guitar-speaker-10-p-554.html"]Celestion BL10[/url][/quote] and it was awful, plenty of headroom but still rattled. I don't remember enough about it to know why, but I'm guessing it moved too much air for the small cab of the amp.
I've also been lucky in sticking a couple of 15" Eminence Deltas into a Marshall 800 2 x 15". They are vastly higher wattage than the original Celestion 100w drivers but it's worked! The bass is seismic from it.
Mr Foxen is bang on about the matching to cab volume, but sometimes you strike lucky.

[quote name='escholl' post='1293414' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:59 PM']I'm not really sure a lesson is cab design is really very helpful right now. Also, loudspeakers are a lot more forgiving than some 'experts' here seem to think -- it is possible to replace a driver without opening WinISD or having a degree in acoustics, you know. :)

Sid, if I were you I would give Ashdown's technical service a call on 01621 856010, they will be able to tell you if indeed it is the drivers, and I'm sure they'd be willing to sell you two exact replacements too, if need be.[/quote]

I agree, this is probably the best solution you'll get on here Sid, call the people who made it and you'll get expert advice and a correct replacement part for whatever is at fault - it may also be covered by warranty.

I'm not going to get into whats right and wrong with what people have said on here. Speakers/cabinets/amps are a minefield so if you don't know what you're doing - leave it to the experts. No amount of armchair physics are gonna help here!