Why become a member? ×

Nordstrand VS Sei

bubinga5

Ive been saving up for a Nordstrand.. BUT.. the old Sei i had, left a very good impression on me... possibly the most comfortable, playable 5 string ive ever played.. It really is the bass i think about alot.. im aware they are/can be very different basses

there was no getting away from the Sei's modern, sometimes polite, jazz bass tone..ok it wasnt really a jazz bass tone... but i would lov e that bass with a super jass bass tone.. i love a classic Fender tone but like the choice of an active eq..

Im in two minds as of the great passive tone of a Nordy 4 or going for a my holly grail passive/active Sei jazz.. oh in a flame maple

Edited by bubinga5

That particular Sei was quite 'polite' - not sure if it was the woods or the combination of pickups & pre-amp.

I've certainly heard others that sounded very different.

Don't see many Sei J basses up for sale, not sure if that's because people hang on to them or just that Martin hasn't made as many :)

I have Andrews old Sei and its been my bass of choice since i bought it from him...... It has great tone and the barts on it give a great variation and the woods make it a real smooth player. I wouldn't say its polite in its tone but very versatile with its pre amp

[quote name='supabock' post='1297820' date='Jul 8 2011, 10:17 PM']I have Andrews old Sei and its been my bass of choice since i bought it from him...... It has great tone and the barts on it give a great variation and the woods make it a real smooth player. I wouldn't say its polite in its tone but very versatile with its pre amp[/quote]glad your still loving it matey..... ok maybe not polite, but not aggressive like a 75 Jazz with Fralins ...

[quote name='molan' post='1297750' date='Jul 8 2011, 09:32 PM']That particular Sei was quite 'polite' - not sure if it was the woods or the combination of pickups & pre-amp.

I've certainly heard others that sounded very different.

Don't see many Sei J basses up for sale, not sure if that's because people hang on to them or just that Martin hasn't made as many :)[/quote]
Yeah there was a time when there were about 4 or 5 up for sale.. one of which i bought of of you Barrie... then sold to Steve. i think Steve has that wonderful Oli white SJ5...... There was another fantastic Sei jazz for when i bought mine and it had a dark wood top.. amazing looking bass.. anyone remember??

about a month ago there were 8 sei bassses for sale in the gallery!!!!
i now have 3 seis
6 string headless barts ,shack pre, awesome
5 string headed barts , shack pre , peizo ,awesome
4 string headless , unsure of pups (maybe kent armstrong), u retro deluxe awesome.

if a sei jazz came up id have one in an instant but i would have a completly different pre amp in it and would defo go for a peizo too.

i think the gallery have a black sei jazz for sale.
ive put my jazz 5 in the gallery for repair/setup etc , if it comes back and i dont get on with it ill prob gonna go for a custom sei jazz.

ive had a spector usa 5 and also have a wood and tronics 5 but the seis just pip the top spot all the time .

i liked youre sei the attention to deatail on sei basses are awesome, ive been very very lucky with the second hand seis ive aquired and always keep my eyes out for them, john from the gallery said they are making more jazz basses and he had a 5 string jazz through neck on the workbench as we spoke (looked nice).

hope this helps

There sure is a black 5 string Jazz in the gallery its mine on commision sale. Its very black ! Has EMG,s and a 35 inch scale for a grest low B

Here it is

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1872&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url]

Stealth