Why become a member? ×

2 measures down/upstroke question

barabaj

Hello everybody

Would appreciate your advice on how to play the following excerpt from "I will survive" by Cake with a pick in terms of down/upstroke succession.

If I go alternating all strokes (A) my upstorkes land on the downbeats which is considered wrong, right?
A. ^v ^v^ v^ v^v^ | ^v ^v^ v^ v^

Would then a B approach be more appropriate?
B. ^v ^vv vv ^v^v | ^v vvv vv vv

Or are there any other options?

Thank you.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1298150' date='Jul 9 2011, 12:25 PM']Is playing upstrokes on the downbeat considered wrong? Personally,as long as you're
playing the notes I don't think it matters.[/quote]

When I saw that you had answered, I eagerly read the thread!

That answer is a bit disapointing :lol:

I really thought that you would supply a technical answer I could ponder on all weekend :)

I do agree with you however! :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1298167' date='Jul 9 2011, 12:38 PM']When I saw that you had answered, I eagerly read the thread!

That answer is a bit disapointing :lol:

I really thought that you would supply a technical answer I could ponder on all weekend :)

I do agree with you however! :)[/quote]

I don't think there is a real technical answer to it-whether you are alternating up/down strokes or alternating between 2 fingers. You just need to be comfortable in your picking and be able to lead with either finger/stroke. If you are comfortable leading with either finger or stroke there shouldn't be a problem.

Although I don't always practice what I preach, I believe in economy of movement and look at the most efficient way of getting from one note, position or string to the next with the least amount of waste, be in over exertion or just simply saving time between moves.

I'm not going to refer directly to the piece you have posted, but to give you an idea that you can work on to explain what I am getting at:

If you play a simple 4 note per string ascending chromatic exercise starting on the E string, then A, D and finish on the G starting your first note on a downstroke, when you come to move to the next string your right hand position is ready for a downstroke to meet the next string. Now try the same exercise, starting note being an upstroke. You'll see now that your hand should be ready for an upstroke when moving DOWN to the next string, which would appear counter productive.

So lets start the same exercise again, but 3 notes per string instead of four. This time if you start the exercise on a downstroke, because you haven't played an even number of notes on the first string, you are now looking at an upstroke to hit the A string when yo move down across the strings, thus it might feel easier in this case to start the exercise with an upstroke.

My point is this - 'plan ahead'. Take a look at how a bass line is laid out on the f/board in front of you and decide how you can attack the bassline so that the transitions between strings can be made easier. Oh - and if it's easier to move a note or pattern to a different string, then do it.

I hope that makes sense! - Also check out 'economy picking' often used by guitarists for speed and take some pointers from that maybe.

I've long noticed how awkward it feels to be skipping from, say E to D and picking it with an upstroke, or when going to a lower string it's much easier to go two upstrokes. It's also clear that as long as you manage to get the sound you want it doesn't really matter how you do it. So it all perfectly makes sense. It's just that there are some proved methods people would be taught, considered most handy. So when I posted I was looking to a classic interpretation of pick dealing with this line.

Jakes right - tHat is the most unreadable way of presenting the part.

That aside, I don't think there is a right or a wrong way, just a preference for the individual player. I can't offer my own preference because I don't know the track but, looking at it out of context, there are several ways of doing that that are all legitimate, depending on tempo. My own simple rule (which is not an absolute by any means) is downstrokes on the beat, upstriokes on the off beat.

But, then again, I never play bass with a pick, only guitar :)