Why become a member? ×

Are acoustic basses especially feedback-prone?

Clarky

I bought an Eko fretless recently to use in an acoustic spin-off of Rattlin Bone. I have had to abandon the idea of using it live, though, as it feeds back whenever it gets to any sort of usable onstage volume. Is this is just a hazard of acoustic basses (its much worse say than my DBs have ever been) or do I need to experiment further with pickups/mic'ing etc? It currently has a K&K Floating pickup on it which comes very highly recommended on TalkBass.

From my experiences....I'd say that sounds just right. They can work in very, very quiet settings but generally howl with very little provocation. I think its the thin and resonant top. My Martin is better, but only because its a thin body (so has even less acoustic volume!). If you want useable volume I think you have to go the Turner Renaissance/ Rob Allen route - these are electric instruments, but built to sound "acoustic" when amplified.

Good one for trying though.....I loved the Eko I had about 15 years ago.

Thanks Duncan. Not what I wanted to hear but, in truth, what I expected :) I can't see me having any use for this if I can't use it live as its not the sort of instrument I play at home (I prefer thumping away on my electrics or my DBs) and I won't be playing in a very quiet acoustic line-up. At least it was cheap!

I've only used my recently acquired Takamine B10 once live so far and didn't have any problems with feedback.

There is a "Feedback Absorber" or a "tunable feedback attenuation circuit" built into the onboard AD Series Preamp but I've not had to use it yet.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1306012' date='Jul 16 2011, 05:15 PM']I've only used my recently acquired Takamine B10 once live so far and didn't have any problems with feedback.

There is a "Feedback Absorber" or a "tunable feedback attenuation circuit" built into the onboard AD Series Preamp but I've not had to use it yet.[/quote]
I guess the difference, Keith, is that your Takamine was designed with amplified playing in mind (hence the electronics and presumably construction too) whereas my 1980s Eko did not come with pickup and was probably only meant to be played 100% acoustically.

Edited by Clarky

Is the B10 the one with the spike? If so, its got a lot more in common with an upright (heavily built, thicker top) than most acoustic bass guitars. Must be fun!

The other option is putting a magnetic pickup in. I've never tried, but I have seen it done in some very loud settings. Trouble is, it starts turning into a normal bass guitar sound.

Edited by BassBod

No problems with feedback on my Washburn AB10 but I have not gigged it yet. I will be next Sunday so I can report back then. However, I have rehearsed with it around 10 times now through my MarkBass combo and no feedback at all. It does have a volume dial which I keep set at about one third which is about the same as my ESP Jazz bass set on full volume so maybe keeping the volume low on the Wasbburn AB10 is cutting out any feedback.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1306024' date='Jul 16 2011, 05:29 PM']Unfortunately the Eko is notorious for not being amenable to the low-tech option as it has a sort of oval sound hole

[attachment=84833:eko1.jpg][/quote]

Ah of course.

Lutehole can make customised ones and have a UK dealer who will act as an intermediary.
Check out [url="http://www.madisonandfifth.co.uk/lutehole.index.htm"]http://www.madisonandfifth.co.uk/lutehole.index.htm[/url]

[quote name='icastle' post='1306035' date='Jul 16 2011, 05:45 PM']Ah of course.

Lutehole can make customised ones and have a UK dealer who will act as an intermediary.
Check out [url="http://www.madisonandfifth.co.uk/lutehole.index.htm"]http://www.madisonandfifth.co.uk/lutehole.index.htm[/url][/quote]
Thanks will check this out

I doubt I have a CD that would fit!

When you are amplifying it, how much do you think the acoustic body is giving to the amplified tone?

If you think the answer is "not much" then I would recommend experimenting with packing the body with foam.

Otherwise what are you after in an instrument? - looks, sound or both?